My boyfriend was just diagnosed with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My boyfriend was just diagnosed with MS

This is all happening pretty fast - just started getting dizzy Wed and was diagnosed on Mon! When he first received the news he told me that he had to end our relationship because he couldn't involve me in this. I told him I cared too much about him to just leave. He has not brought this up again, but he hasn't not completely answered my "can we keep this relationship please" question. I would love to get some ideas of how to deal with this terrible news and to support him, especially during this "newly diagnosed" time when I know so much is running through his head.

MS dx is a ton of bricks. You have plenty of time to digest the information and NO need to do anything right away- especially regarding a relationship. Yes, looking into DMDs is prudent, but no, it is not an automatic game changer in regards to your connection with each other. Neither of you knows, nor will you know until time has passed, how his particular course will go. Whether or not you remain together, you will both learn more about yourselves as you process this together than you would in most other circumstances. You will both learn patience, compassion, humor, love, and MORE. You´re about to get a PhD in Life- accept the challenges with grace and give yourself the margin of time and emotional space to cope with this. Your perspective and his will determine how the journey goes.

Comment

Originally posted by marie0610 View Post
      I told him I cared too much about him to just leave. He has not brought this up again, but he hasn't not completely answered my "can we keep this relationship please" question.
      Hi,
      Is your relationship fairly new? The way you worded your plea above sounds like it might be new.

It might be difficult but I'd give him some space to digest the news and decide how he wants to proceed.

For your own piece of mind you could research MS and the nearly unlimited outcomes so you will have a better idea of whether you even want to consider joining someone in this almost always very difficult journey.

I'm sorry you both are going through this, having MS stinks.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

[QUOTE=Temagami;1415280]. You´re about to get a PhD in Life- accept the challenges with grace and give yourself the margin of time and emotional space to cope with this.

Thank you so much for all of this great and inspirational advice. I have 100% accepted the challanges that could lie ahead because I truly care of him

Comment

Working...
        X