Looking for someone who had a loved one with MS pass away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for someone who had a loved one with MS pass away

My mother is currently losing her 24 year battle with MS. She was only 31 years old when she was diagnosed with primary progressive multiple sclerosis. She had just divorced my father of 13 years and was in a new relationship planning a wedding. Her fiance' decided he was not equipped to handle taking care of her and her three young children so he dumped her. Devastated and broke she uprooted all of us from California to Kentucky to be with her sisters. There she met a wonderful man that loved her and her children unconditionally and decided to commit himself to a life of uncertainty.

Now we are almost 25 years later and my step dad is still by her side as we are waiting for her to pass. I moved back to California 17 yeas ago and have had to endure a long distance relationship with my sick mother (which has never been easy).

I just got back from a six day stay in Ky to spend time with my mother and say my final goodbyes. My heart is aching so much. Even though I knew this day would come it's still so difficult to accept. She is so young still (only 55) and so am I not to have a mother. I lost my father to kidney cancer 8 1/2 years ago at the age of 50. I don't understand why my parents only got to live into their 50's?? While I see all my friends who are around my age (30's) with parents still living healthy in their sixties and some seventies.

My mom tried every drug available, was hospitalized at least 40-50 times for various complications, went to rehab at least 10 times, was in a wheelchair for the last 16 years, and has had a feeding tube for the last 6. She suffered so much, yet always kept a positive attitude, hardly ever complained, and wanted to keep living.

Due to her inability to swallow several years ago she kept being hospitalized for pneumonia so her medical team agreed to insert a stomach feeding tube so she could get the proper nutrients from formula through the tube. She started out with 6 cans a day and then year and after year it decreased.

Last May was her last hospitalization when the team decided that there was nothing else they could do to treat her, and she had lost the motivation to keep trying. So she was sent home on hospice. For one year my step father fed her comfort meds and formula to keep her alive while her body lie bed ridden with a catheter and a diaper, and in constant pain. Then about a month ago her body would hardly take one can a day or any fluids. She became more and more listless and slept about 15-18 hours a day with no strength to even speak most days. So about 2 weeks ago our family had to make a decision I hope no one ever has to make; we had to honor the advanced directive and stop tubal feedings that was prolonging her life. Even though it is black and white when it comes to the advanced directive her case was unique for hospice because she was put on hospice with a feeding tube. Did we keep her on it too long? I guess we were all expecting her to pass away from an infection or pneumonia, and I think hospice did also. So when they say people don't die from MS they only pass away from other complications that is not true or is it?

I know this is a lot...but I am just venting and telling my story in hopes that maybe I can find another family that had to deal with a similar situation? There is such a wide spectrum of Multiple Sclerosis and I have not yet found a story like mine to relate to. I'm so sorry for anyone who reads this and hears the ugly truth to this disease

I too lost a parent with MS. My dad was dxed with MS at the age of 21, and was in a wheelchair by the age of 25. He constantly went down hill until he passed away at the age of 38. MS ravaged his body so bad he couldn't fight off the pneumonia which eventually took his life. Death certificate stated complications from MS. So it seems MS can cause death indirectly. My MS doesn't seem to be as progressive as my dad's, and for that I'm thankful. I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment

We lost a family friend to MS before I was diagnosed. She had been homebound/bedridden for many years and her husband had to provide full care. She was in her late 50s when she passed away. RIP Joyce.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

I just wanted to say that your story is so touching, my heart goes out to you and your family. I hope you find the support you need to help you through this.
        Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thank you for your comments

We are all still in limbo waiting for my mother to pass. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since she has had any nourishment and very little water. Hospice is baffled that her vitals are still strong and she is hanging in there. However she is the most peaceful and comfortable we have seen her in years. When I was with her for six days she did not complain about pain once and has not since I left. Still my stepfather is giving her pain meds a couple of times a day just to make sure she is comfortable. Her strong will continues. God Bless you mama!

Comment

Originally posted by andee1022 View Post
            We are all still in limbo waiting for my mother to pass. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since she has had any nourishment and very little water. Hospice is baffled that her vitals are still strong and she is hanging in there. However she is the most peaceful and comfortable we have seen her in years. When I was with her for six days she did not complain about pain once and has not since I left. Still my stepfather is giving her pain meds a couple of times a day just to make sure she is comfortable. Her strong will continues. God Bless you mama!
            So sorry for what you're going through. My mom was 60 when I lost her 10 years ago (not to MS). We had hospice come to the house also. I remember giving her morphine and being instructed how much, how often, etc. Towards the end, it was like, I don't care if I give her a bit too much and more frequently. I wanted to make sure she was NOT in pain. She couldn't communicate with us and I didn't want to take a chance that the original dose was not effective any longer.

It is so hard to lose a parent -- no matter how old we are.

What helped me deal with losing her was being thankful I did have her for 41 years and that I knew she was in a better place without pain.

May you and your family find support to get through this.

Comment

It can take a while but I am so glad to hear she looks peaceful. I hope you find peace also.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

My mom didn't die from MS, but from another neurological disease. Here's what we were told by Hospice...even though they are able to pretty much "predict" the stages the patient will go through near the end, they are more adept at dealing with cancer and the downward spiral it takes one on. When it's a different disease, they often can't give as accurate a time line, and are often perplexed by the patients ups and downs, even though they are so ill. God bless you and your family as you deal with this difficult time.

Comment

My Dad had Progressive MS. He passed at the age of 42. Complications of MS, he pneumonia and couldn't fight it. That was hard as heck on us kids. That was 45 years ago. Wow I did not realize how long ago until now. Love you Daddy.
                  When I was a child my neighbor (Scotty) also had MS. He was bed bound in a striker frame. If his son (Johnny) and I wanted to do something and Anna (Johnnys mother) wasn't around we always went to Scotty to ask.
                  I guess with my Dad and Scotty we thought life was normal.
                  Miss both wonderful Men very much.
                  SgrammieD

Comment

multiple sclerosis

My mother is currently losing her 24 year battle with MS. She was only 31 years old when she was diagnosed with primary progressive multiple sclerosis. She had just divorced my father of 13 years and was in a new relationship planning a wedding. Her fiance' decided he was not equipped to handle taking care of her and her three young children so he dumped her. Devastated and broke she uprooted all of us from California to Kentucky to be with her sisters. There she met a wonderful man that loved her and her children unconditionally and decided to commit himself to a life of uncertainty.

Now we are almost 25 years later and my step dad is still by her side as we are waiting for her to pass. I moved back to California 17 yeas ago and have had to endure a long distance relationship with my sick mother (which has never been easy).

I just got back from a six day stay in Ky to spend time with my mother and say my final goodbyes. My heart is aching so much. Even though I knew this day would come it's still so difficult to accept. She is so young still (only 55) and so am I not to have a mother. I lost my father to kidney cancer 8 1/2 years ago at the age of 50. I don't understand why my parents only got to live into their 50's?? While I see all my friends who are around my age (30's) with parents still living healthy in their sixties and some seventies.

My mom tried every drug available, was hospitalized at least 40-50 times for various complications, went to rehab at least 10 times, was in a wheelchair for the last 16 years, and has had a feeding tube for the last 6. She suffered so much, yet always kept a positive attitude, hardly ever complained, and wanted to keep living.

Due to her inability to swallow several years ago she kept being hospitalized for pneumonia so her medical team agreed to insert a stomach feeding tube so she could get the proper nutrients from formula through the tube. She started out with 6 cans a day and then year and after year it decreased.

Last May was her last hospitalization when the team decided that there was nothing else they could do to treat her, and she had lost the motivation to keep trying. So she was sent home on hospice. For one year my step father fed her comfort meds and formula to keep her alive while her body lie bed ridden with a catheter and a diaper, and in constant pain. Then about a month ago her body would hardly take one can a day or any fluids. She became more and more listless and slept about 15-18 hours a day with no strength to even speak most days. So about 2 weeks ago our family had to make a decision I hope no one ever has to make; we had to honor the advanced directive and stop tubal feedings that was prolonging her life. Even though it is black and white when it comes to the advanced directive her case was unique for hospice because she was put on hospice with a feeding tube. Did we keep her on it too long? I guess we were all expecting her to pass away from an infection or pneumonia, and I think hospice did also. So when they say people don't die from MS they only pass away from other complications that is not true or is it?

I know this is a lot...but I am just venting and telling my story in hopes that maybe I can find another family that had to deal with a similar situation? There is such a wide spectrum of Multiple Sclerosis and I have not yet found a story like mine to relate to. I'm so sorry for anyone who reads this and hears the ugly truth to this disease
                    hi I just wanted to send out prays to you and your family andee-well iam still learning about (ms)it just seems that a lot of people have it-one day iam happy doing more then the other days-some days I just get so tired-I been searching on family to see if it runs in any of the family gens yes I have found one. any ways andee I pray you keep going strong its never easy,god bless you and yours..((sunshine)

Comment

My heart goes out to you. My wife is struggling with MS. It is a tough thing. We just don't ever understand why it has to be. I wish it didn't.

Live on in a way she would be proud of. Our children are our legacy.

Comment

andee,

What a wonderful child you are. It is easy to "see" your love, in your words. It is also easy to feel your pain. I am so very sorry your mother got MS and sorry that her health is declining. I too have MS and even if I did not, I am touched by your post. I wish your mother peace, and no pain.

I DO want to tell you that I am praying for her, for you and for all those effected by her dying. AND those effected by her LIFE. May you all find peace in your memories of her.

HUGS TO YOU
                        -LaTish
                        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

We are now a little over a month...

Thank you all for your support. I find such comfort in reading your comments. My mom is now in hospice in patient care. My step dad could not manage her pain or her bed sores so this was the best place for her. She will most likely stay there until she passes. She is now receiving her pain meds through a port in her chest and is no longer getting any fluids or medication in her feeding tube. I feel now that it is getting closer. My step dad put the phone up to her ear so I could tell her I loved her and she mumbled "I love you too". I could barely hear her or make out what she said...but it mean't so much to me just to hear her. It is so difficult not to be there. I just want to jump on a plane. The waiting is so difficult...this has been the longest month of my life.

Comment

andee,

Just wanted to let you know, you are an inspiration and must be a delightful son. Your MOM will always be your mom and with you in any way possible.

Your kindness, is simply 'touching.' My goes out to you. fed

Comment

Mom passed away this morning

My mom passed away this morning. It had been 2 weeks since she was admitted into hospice inpatient care. She fought a long battle and it was her time to go. I am so very sad. I thought that the time I had to prepare would ease the pain a bit...but that is so untrue. My heart aches for my beautiful mother who was the bravest and strongest person I have ever known. She had the most loveable fun spirit and never let her MS struggles get her down. She is an inspiration to all. I will miss you my sweet mama. You are free of pain now and I can vision you dancing with the angels. I will love you forever

Comment

Working...
                              X