Spousal support group (thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spousal support group (thread)

Hello. First time here. My wife was diagnosed about 5 years ago and is managing fairly well, all things considered. She's got other back surgery issues with chronic nerve pain and a bunch of other secondary medical issues, all of which are fairly well managed. Overall, though, there's a lot of stress and its very hard seeing someone you love go through all of this. I'm sure for those of you who are longtime forum members, this is nothing new.

She's been a member of the forum for years, but I wanted to come here and see if other spouses use the forum for positive support, even if just to listen to care-givers and those of us in deep, loving relationships with those who have MS. I know how powerful it can be knowing someone understands the feelings of survivors guilt or helplessness. Some days are easier than others, but overall, I find myself just shaking my fist at the injustice of it all (as it seems at the moment).

Life does continue, and there are beautiful moments all of the time, as well as the small arguments and the constant work on getting to know myself, and her, better and closer. We each have our pasts to work on, and our futures to build.

I guess I'm wondering if there are others like me out there. How do you take care of yourself while your spouse is in pain, or depressed, or stressed? Is this forum a good place for finding someone in a similar situation and getting positive support, like a virtual group therapy session?

Thanks.

Caregiver

I too have a spouse with MS. He has RRMS, but he has a rather aggressive form of it.

I usually gather information from MSWorld rather than post a lot. It is really helpful for that. I know I've seen posts by other caregiver/spouses, but I don't see a lot of it. Feel free to contact me if you'd like.
    Chomsky Chick
    This floating world is but a phantasm.
    It is a momentary smoke.— Zen monk

Comment

Hi thalesdream and chomskychick~ just wanted to let you and others who may read this that we have a special Chat time @MSWorld for caregivers! It's 8pm (EST) on Wednesdays. If you have any trouble with chat email helpwithchat@msworld.org

Hope this helps!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi guys!!

Totally get it thalesdream! Hubby and I were best friends for four years before dating. He had problems with his back and neck - long ago major injury as well as a degenerative disk problem. So I was at least somewhat aware of what the future held. Just didn't realize we'd be facing a diagnosis of MS in the future.

It's been a ride for sure. But he's still my best friend. I have days I'd like to bonk him with his cane, but I'm sure he thinks of burying me in the back pasture on some days too. I don't think it's too different than other relationships. Just not relationships of the average people of our age!

Part of a relationship is caring for one another, regardless of what the future holds. We all are given our difficulties in life. We are all also given blessings. We do our best to make it through the bad days and laugh as much as we can. And we savor those good days. Love. It's a good thing.

Comment

Working...
        X