Any homeschoolers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any homeschoolers?

I'm a newly dx'd mom of four, ages 8 - 8 mos. only two are "in school" at the moment. I'm a little nervous about my ability to continue homeschooling (I'm fine now, this is just general apprehension) and I'd love to talk to someone who has btdt.

I've already made some simplifications for next year that will be for the best, ms or not. Instead of our co-op, we'll be doing a drop off program closer to home. The toddler will be going to preschool too, my first kid in school!

I have not btdt.... but I'm right here trying to do that. I only have a 3yo just now but we plan on continuing to homeschool. I realise this doesnt help you AT ALL.... but I feel the general apprehension too.

Comment

Oh, idk, it helps me a little. just kidding! I've been looking for homeschoolers with ms on multiple boards and your the only reply (probably because if you really are homeschooling and have ms you don't have time to reply). At least I'm not the only one!

Comment

I don't plan on it but I would definitely consider it. I can see it being really tough of fatigue is one of your primary symptoms, but it should be fine otherwise if you feel that you can teach your kids adequately.

Not really helpful, but I thought I'd respond anyway
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

With only one preschooler at home and in relapse I have a little more time than most. Plus.... I'm a evening board surfer. Figure at least we aren't alone :-)

Comment

I homeschooled my kiddo. I was having symptoms at the time we started, but wasn't diagnosed for a few years. but he was about 10 when my symptoms started.

We had begun homeschooling when he was in 2nd grade because we had several moves, due to my husband's job,and I was just going to finish out the year homeschooling so he wouldn't have to go to his 4 th new school since kindergarten.

We, he and I, really enjoyed it, and we had moved to an area that had a strong homeschooling community, so it was easy to find activities, and groups to co-op with.

When my symptoms became more restricting for me, I would homeschool, and then one of our homeschooling friends would take him to the activity or co-op. And to tell you the truth, it was easier to homeschool during relapses than it would have been to get him to and from school because I could assign work, and then rest while he was doing his assignments. Bad days were reading days...which he loved, and that is my one regret, if I had to do it over again, I would have let him read more, and used less standard curriculum. (if your kid loves reading, check out Beautiful Feet series. I found them late in my homeschooling, but they use regular books to study certain subjects.)

We did it on a year to year basis, and just kept at it through 9th grade. We have a wonderful program called dual credit at our community colleges, so we used that for high school...which is also a cost saver because they graduate high schools using community college credits, and get their AA at the same time...of course at that point you really aren't homeschooling anymore and it's a tuition free program, so it saves money, not to mention time.

He finished his BA and Masters at a young age, thanks to dual credit which set him ahead of the "game" by two years...found a great job, married the love of his life, and although I know homeschooling didn't make him the man he is today, I believe it helped him get a leg up, so to speak, in his life.

If I would say one thing to you homeschooling moms, it would be...relax. Every homeschooler, MS or not, second guesses themselves on their choices, on their curriculum, and on their abilities. We homeschooled in states that required testing every year, so I was able to know if he was where he should be, that helped me know if we were on the right track. And I only had an only, so that was easier than those with more kids. But I always looked at it as a year to year commitment, and if I, at anytime felt I couldn't do it due to my MS, I wouldn't have hesitated putting him in school. so there's no right or wrong way, just do what you feel is right for you and your kid/kids, as circumstances present themselves and enjoy the opportunity to homeschool.

Comment

My family homeschools. My son is in 9th grade and my daughter is in 1st grade. Right after I was diagnosed I wound up enrolling my son in a virtual public school and regretted it. After that I was bound and determined to take things one day at a time and go back to homeschooling like we had previously done. Even now on my bad days I let my daughter read to her brother or do something independent -- that doesn't require my assistance. My son works independently most of the time and we catch up later on subjects that they need my attention with at a later time. Homeschooling and the flexibility that it offers has made dealing with this disease and its effects on family much better. Also, the enrichment group has been a tremendous blessing to us. If I can't physically attend they are great about watching over my children so they don't miss out as well. We just take schooling one day at a time.

Comment

Homeschooling coming to an end

We homeschool. I am coming to the end of my homeschooling years, sadly. We have homeschooled for about 22 years. I was diagnosed at thirty and I had four children. At the time of my diagnosis I was homeschooling two of my children. One was in 5th grade and one in kinder. I had another child who was a 2nd grader in a skills class at the local elementary school. I had two more children against the advise of my OB/GYN. I'm glad I did! Each child has been a huge blessing and has brought our family much joy.

We tended to homeschool year round which helped during my times of relapses and times when my special needs son was hospitalized. We schooled nine weeks then we would take a break. The frequent breaks helped me and my children. We seldom were involved in co-ops.

The way we did our homeschooling and my son's hospitalizations didn't fit with co-op schedules and most times we couldn't afford it. We were involved in 4-H, sports, and church. We had two families we were really close with. We met weekly with them to allow the kids to play and have P.E. We had bi-yearly camping trips with them too.

I learned early on what worked best for me is what worked best for our family. It didn't look like what others were doing and it was okay. I hope this encourages other homeschool moms with MS.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
                Be Blessed
                DX'D RRMS in 1994 started Copaxone in 2007

Comment

Working...
                X