Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to all of this..

Hi everyone,
    My name is Cheryl and my 48 year old husband was diagnosed with MS this past summer after horrendous months of uncertainty! It started out with vertigo, finally I brought him to the hospital and he was diagnosed with a small stroke. His symptoms continued to worsen--his whole right side was weakening more every day..they finally admitted him to run more tests. The doctors were actually 98% sure it was lymphoma of the brain. Brain biopsy was done and no cancer cells were found! But by this time he was not able to move his right side at all or speak! Finally he given the MS diagnosis. After PT, OT and speech he is now functional and back to work but is dealing with the realities of MS! He was a fabulous athlete and was an extremely good golfer and now is struggling with the fact that he will most likely never golf the way he used to ..or at all.. How do help him deal with this?? I can tell he is getting more and more depressed
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for listening!
    Cheryl

Hi Cheryl and welcome to this site. It looks like you are already doing a lot for husband by finding this forum and asking for help. Dealing with a MS diagnosis is hard, and everyone goes through it in their own way. Depression is common but is treatable, your giving him support and that's great. Just being there for him will help. Take care of your self too. Dale
    Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Hi Cheryl and welcome to MSWorld! Thank you for helping your husband by reaching out to us. Here is a link that you might be interested in. http://msworld.org/events/calendar/2...vers-people-ms

All the information for this national teleconference for family and caregivers is listed here.

I'm sure it is hard for you, but hopefully calling in will offer some help you and, in return, your husband. Maybe he would like to join MSWorld as well? Take care~
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Cheryl - MS is a shocking life changer. Sometimes changes of life require professional help to adjust to. You can be there for your husband and be supportive but you can't be a therapist too. You aren't trained to be one and trying to be one will wear you out pretty quick too. If he's getting more depressed it shows that he can't handle this alone. People who are injured in accidents sometimes get help from therapy. Even professional athletes sometimes go to therapy to help them adjust when they can't play anymore and its time for them to retire.

Medication can help too but medication can't give him a place to unload his stresses or teach him ways to adapt to the changes. So you can try to help by encouraging him to talk to a therapist at least for a while. His neurologist can prescribe an antidepressant but neuros tend to just prescribe the same thing to everybody so it might be better for him to see a psychiatrist a few times to get stabilized on a medication. It usually takes two or three tries to find one that works well.

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society has tood infomation about dealing with life changes and emotional challenges and relationships. So you might try going to their website and looking around. There is lots of good information there for both of you.

Comment

Wow..thanks so much for the replies! I am really going to try to get my hubby on here. He is still on his way to acceptance of all this! Counseling is definitely an option I think we should persue.
          Thanks again and I will keep you posted!
          Cheryl

Comment

Hi Cheryl welcome to the group I am pretty new here myself but have gotten lots of info so far. It is very tough and you and your hubby are not alone in this. It took me some time to sort out my feelings and I still am to a point like the others said there is help for dealing with things like depression. In time I am sure your husband will join this site in his own time. just remember to take care of yourself also.

Comment

help

Hi my name is
              Wendy
              I'm looking for any info on what happens when you lose sight in one eye? My husband has had MS for 3yyrs now. And this past Sunday he lost sight in right eye. Does this last? Will sight come back? What can we do? So worried. Thank you

Comment

My wife ls sight in one eye initially at the attack that was the clincher to the Dr that she had MS. It came back after steroid IV treatment and a few weeks went by.

It is a shocker. We have been on the MS roller coaster for 16 years. One of the big things we learned is to have fun on the days you can, because there will be plenty you can't. I mean everything, family time, adult fun time, travel a little, go to concerts.

It can also be heartbreaking to see. I would be lying to say it is not a heart breaking disease. I try to keep myself exercised, do some hobby time, and that helps me be a better husband and caregiver.

Bless you for staying and helping. I know they are scared and I have been told it is like being a hostage. Hugs seem to help. Don't be stingy with them.

Comment

Working...
                X