Re: Murphy's Law!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Murphy's Law!!

So here i am single for quite some time....I get diagnosed couple of weeks ago with MS and on Saturday I get asked out on a date??!!! Why could you not have come along when I didn't know I had MS?? So now I am in a situation where I would love to go on the date (I have already said yes) but do I keep my MS a secret? Obviously this is not a big deal really as it is only a date but at teh same time it is a big deal and has made me think of something that I hadn't thoguht of since my diagnosis... RELATIONSHIPS!! How do you deal with them? Do you tell them that you have MS or just wait and see what happens... Sorry I know this is silly and in the bigger picture of what is going on in my life right now a date should be the least of my worries but I kind of like the idea of being normal as well Thank you for any support you can give em on this really silly topic....

I'd be honest right off the bat. Let him run if he wants to, better now than later.

He may also be an important part of your future, either in a relationship or as a best friend.

We never know what the future holds that that shouldn't stop us from taking a step forward.

Enjoy your date! Just be you! Let us know how it turns out!

Good luck! ...and have fun!
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Somebody else asked about dating a few weeks ago under a different thread. http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124179

Comment

Hey MSer102,

Read that thread and seems like sound advice Think I will follow that three date rule and takes pressure totally off date one!! I am trying to understand this MS thing myself so I would like to give someone a chance to get to know me a bit first before they have to try understand it. And like you said might not get past first date anyways

Comment

I go by a couple of question that I ask myself when choosing to disclose or not... if it were another serious illness, would I tell this person? Or... if the other person had MS would I want to know, and how soon.

I was a long time with my husband when i was diagnosed so i don't have experience from a dating perspective. I hope that, whatever you decide, you have fun on your date!

Jen

BTW, that was NOT a silly topic at all!
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

A Guy's Perspective...

If the chemistry is there it should not matter if you were a three-headed wombat with a drinking problem......if he really likes you, having MS is just a reality of who you are.

My advice is to be upfront, because if he is scared-off by the fact that you have MS then he is looking for perfection and the last time I checked, the last person claiming to be perfect got crucified....

Comment

Thank you

Hee Hee, ok so that puts whole other perspective on it Cadiman And you make a very good point, plus I guess if they are going to run they are going to do it one date or 10 dates in... It's a funny thing MS isn't it, don't think I'll ever get my head round it!
              P.S. Don't suppose you are single? Would save me having to do any explaining ha ha ha! I'm kidding!! well I have to have a laugh

Comment

Ha! Be honest and have fun!
                Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Working...
                X