Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How on earth can i be a good parent to my child...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How on earth can i be a good parent to my child...

And im plagued by chronic fatigue? My son is 3 and a normal toddler. By 630 pm EST im exhausted and ready for bed.

I feel so bad making him come to bed with me. My poor baby cries himself to sleep at times and I feel like crying myself.

How do other parents handle parenthood w/MS? Need all the advice I can get!
    Dx: 10-5-12
    Began Avonex: 11-21-12

Do you take anything for the fatigue? I have three children and would never make it without my ritalin!!

My daughter is a normal 3 year old as well and at least with the meds I can on most days make it until 8pm then we snuggle and watch a movie until she falls asleep. I usually go to sleep before her!

Do you work? Does he take naps? You should try resting when he does just like the advice you were given when you brought that beautiful baby home. I sometimes find a short nap can help me make it though the day and 3 year olds still need a midday rest period so you can rest when he does.

Hope this helps a little

Comment

You were just diagnosed so I assume had an exacerbation recently. Very recently. After a relapse, the most important thing is to get sleep - a lot of sleep - staying all day in bed sleep.

While fatigue may always be an issue, you're still recovering. So give yourself a break. If you can have someone watch your kid for 2 weeks, you can get some rest. Maybe even contact the MS society for answers.

And give yourself a break as well. The single most important thing a kid needs from a parent is to know they are loved.

My son loved sleeping in my bed when he was 3. It was a pleasure for us both, so why not make it a special time.

Anyway, you'll be better in the future and if necessary, there are definitely some nice medications.

Comment

Is your partner much help? My husband works a lot but often takes up the slack when I'm tired and he has time. If I'm feeling fatigued and DH is busy I feel terribly guilty, but I take that time for cuddles and stories.

It's so hard. ::hugs::
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I have a 4 year old and a 7 month old so I understand how you feel! My husband is almost never home (he works A LOT) so it's usually me and the kids. My first recommendation is to find something for the fatigue! Talk to your neuro about medication that may help or read some of the posts on here to see what else may work.

Also, like was already said when he rests that's time for you to rest too! Although I don't like my 4 year old to watch a lot of TV, I've found I can take a short nap on the couch next to her while she's watching a movie. My daughter knows mom is tired all of the time. The other day while the baby was napping I told my daughter that I was going to lay down for a little bit on the couch while she played. After a short nap I felt more energized so we played a game, which she loves to do.

It's a fine line you need to walk. You need to make sure your son knows how important/special he is to you and you need to take it easy. That means you might need to take breaks throughout the day, but I bet if you explain things to him in a way he can understand he would love to "help" you feel better. Then you can make him feel special for being so helpful. He just wants you to be happy and you don't have to be as energetic as he is to do that!
          Lori
          Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

I definitely agree with the previous poster who mentioned taking something to help your energy levels; when you find something that works, the difference is like night and day! One good trick that I learned is to force myself to go on a ten to twenty minute walk while I let my son ride his tricycle. Even though the walk wears me out sometimes, the tricycle ride is enough to wear him down just a bit too. And sometimes I just sit in the living room and watch him play with his toys by himself. I know it may not be the ideal situation, but you have to give yourself permission to rest; your body desperately needs it.

Comment

Hi...to chime in, I also recommend a medication to help with your energy. There is a non-stimulating (does not stimulate your central nervous system, which means no jittery feeling) medication used often for MS, narcolepsy, shift worker sleep disorder, among other things. Try asking your doctor about Provigil or Nuvigil and ask what s/he recommends. I wish you well...
              Do you need or enjoy fear, worries and restlessness? If you don't, then why do you keep inviting them into your mind?

Comment

Also, don't beat yourself up about being a good parent because you get tired! In the long run it doesn't matter. As long as your child knows you are there for them that is all that matters. Have you tried watching a movie in bed with you child - they watch the movie you nap? I used to love doing that with my daughter and was crushed when she wanted to stop nap time! Now she is happy,healthy and 10 and doesn't want her mom hanging around her all the time. I can easily go and take a nap and she could care less. Just make sure your child knows that you are always there for them - I think it is more emotional than physical. Good luck - you are a great parent just for worrying about this.

Comment

Schedule, schedule, schedule!

I was dxd when my son was 3.
                  These are some of the "tricks" I used.

Wake him up earlier, and no naps.
                  At 6 make it quiet time in bed.
                  Watch movies, do puzzles, draw, read books, tell stories, have him tell you stories, work with blocks or legos.
                  Have some toys that are only used during "quiet time."

Even if you are on energy meds, it's a good idea for you to rest so you can be ready for the next day.

There's tons of other ideas.

Comment

Working...
                  X