Sedentary Night Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sedentary Night Out

I am looking for some ideas for going out with my husband. He can't walk or stand for too long. I would like to do something besides dinner or a movie. We could do things at home, but I feel we need to be out around other people. He very recently moved out. We are working on communicating and taking care of one another again. I could really use some creative ideas.

Maybe ask him what he would like to do?
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Ideas

He doesn't share much even when I ask. This is also for me so that I can have a more social evening every so often. I would love to go rock climbing or dancing, but these aren't options. I am looking for something he can participate in that will meet my needs as well.

Comment

Why did he move out?

Comment

Originally posted by chocoholic1976 View Post
          He doesn't share much even when I ask. This is also for me so that I can have a more social evening every so often. I would love to go rock climbing or dancing, but these aren't options. I am looking for something he can participate in that will meet my needs as well.
          I think that it would be a tad insensitive to ask to go dancing or rock climbing.

If you are near the mountains, maybe drive there, park the car, and walk a short distance to a scenic park.
          Maybe bring mini chairs to sit down in and share some food and drink.
          There are also free concerts during the summertime at local city parks. This is very enjoyable. The fair is good, just get out the wheelchair for long walks, and then her can get out and walk when he feels up to it.

Swimming may be a good option. He may be stronger in the mornings. If so that is something that you can join him in.

I am sure that other people have more ideas.

Good Luck.

Comment

What we do

I'm the one that is now "out of commission". My DH and I met cycling. We did distance cycling and a lot of hiking in the Rockies. We've done everything we can to keep active together. We bought an electric bike, which I was able to ride for about 5 years. We also bought a tandem about 7 years ago, which I can still ride (this year-who knows about next year), but only for about 60-90 minutes before my legs get out. I'm trying to talk him into a pop up trailer for camping, which is a far cry from our backpacking days, but it gets us outdoors. We also have learned to kayak; however, my spacticity makes this very hard to do without others to help get me in and out. We've also gone river rafting, including rafting camping trips wiht guides.

I think you get the idea. We're looking for outdoor activities that don't require me to be physical. Look at Wilderness Inquiries. It's a non-profit out of MN that caters to outdoor activities and trips for people with all sorts of disabilities.

Yesterday, we went to a college basketball game. We've done baseball games when it wasn't too hot. Last week we went to a Cirque du Soleil performance. We also go to local theater productions. Most venues, thanks to the ADA, have accessible seating, which includes a spot for by DH. If I'm able to, I'll walk. If not, we use a wheelchair. Museums are good for us, too.

Good luck and I hope that something appeals to both of you.

Comment

Me and my hubby drive to the top of the mountains and enjoy the views, we go to local fairs, car shows, I'll pack up a picnic and we drive to the top of a mountain and it's a 5 min walk to the meadow were we picnic and the deers come out to watch us. We also snuggle in front of the fireplace to watch movies, theres alot bit I am kinda blank in my mind right now, maybe Ill come back to this post later when I can remember more lol

Comment

Are you in the city or rural? Makes a difference! If you are in a city there will be more stuff to do, obviously.

Here are some ideas: live music (lots of it is free or nearly free, including college and high school productions), poetry readings, lectures, book signings, shopping or just browsing at the mall, yoga, planetarium show, sporting events of all kinds (including low cost student, amateur and minor league events). The local paper will have ideas for various lectures and public events, also. If you are members of the local health club, you could go there, too. We do that together once in a while. Do either of you like to watch sports? A sports bar can be fun. Or going out just for dessert and coffee instead of dinner.

If you are in a rural area, and have the funds, plan a night in the big city and catch a show.

Comment

Oh I just figured out you are in Portland. Must be tons to do there! Hiking and climbing organizations often have movie festivals, slideshows, lectures. So if you can't climb together you can be armchair climbers together. Perhaps audit an evening class of any kind together at the local community college.

Comment

lots if you open your mind

I like comedy so going to a comedy routine.

If you belong to a church, look for outings with them.

The other posters have given you good ideas.

If you have a state park close by. They may have a lodge that you can look around at or a nature walk that is wheelchair accesable. Have your husband push the wheelchair in front of him at times.
                    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Concerts with assigned seating, lectures at a local school/university on something you both enjoy, wine tasting, comedy show...
                      Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

My husband and I are actually enjoying more venues now that we have been willing to ask for accessible seating. The seats are better, and you're always near an exit, bathroom, or concessions! There is an upside to this disease: you can get excellent seats! (in most places)

Comment

Another idea would be just to go to a city park and sit on a park bench and talk (while you feed the ducks or pigeons or whatever). I do not know what his stamina levels will allow, maybe even a walking that far would not be an option. How about something like the drive-in movies?
                          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                          volunteer
                          MS World
                          hunterd@msworld.org
                          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Some great ideas here -

my SO and I are looking to volunteer together and have a meeting with ST Johns ambulance to see about one of our dogs being a therapy dog.

We also enjoy concerts , dinners out and have plans to go to the Museum and Art Gallery
                            Peace ~~ Kat

Comment

Working...
                            X