This is about my Dog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is about my Dog.

Move it Mods if parenting isn't where it should be.
    We adopted Lucy when she was 5. All we knew about her was that she was born in 1999.
    We didn't even know how long she had been at the Humane Society.
    I call her a 'pure bred' mix because I think I have identified 6 breed at least in her. She is small 34-37 pounds and a tail that used to never stop wagging.
    Well now she has an enlarged heart and trouble in her back and she is ailing.
    This is making me very anxious and my symptoms are kicking in.
    My legs are getting spastic and my double vision and balance are terrible.
    We don't have children and I don't know how parents with MS can cope.
    I am certainly not.
    Any words of wisdom would help. This is even more uncertain than having MS
    Thanks
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Hi techie,

As I sit here and look at my dog, who is the love of my life( don't tell my DH!!) I've always known that chances are, she will go before me and every time that happens I always say I can't do this anymore, it's just too painful, but after awhile, along comes a little cold black nose and I am in love again, not that I EVER forget my past loves. That being said, it is the MOST difficult thing to lose your best friend and having MS makes it 100 times worse .

What does your vet say about your dog? Prognosis? Meds?

In the end, no matter what, knowing that you are doing and giving the best for your dog is what matters. Your pain won't magically go away. You love her but now she needs you. Now is the time to repay her for everything she has given you.
    I wish you lots of luck and my prayers for you. Trust me, I know where you are coming from
    Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
    RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

Near and dear to my heart. I've never totally gotten over the dogs and cats I have lost although I am thankful they went before I did because I can't imagine leaving them with an uncertain future even though they will get my entire estate for their support.

I do whatever I can medically for them if it will allow them to live with a decent quality of life and when that is no longer possible I make the easy decision to help them leave their pain in this world.

I truly can't imagine how parents of two legged kiddos are able to reconcile the worry and hard knocks this life can bring on our babies especially with MS lurking in the background. I guess this unconditional love thing isn't for the faint of heart.

Sending good vibes for your dear baby and you.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
        I truly can't imagine how parents of two legged kiddos are able to reconcile the worry and hard knocks this life can bring on our babies especially with MS lurking.
        I have 3 kids and my DH also has 3, which he has sole custody of. I must say that at least we can explain things to them vs. my furry family (3 cats and 1 dog).

I get the guilts big-time when I feel poorly and can't take the dog for as long a walk as he deserves, even though the kids can take him out. It's "our thing".

I just look in his big, brown eyes and melt, he's just so loyal and stays right by my side when I feel horrible. I hate when I can't repay this loyalty.

Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Hi Techie,
          Sorry to hear about Lucy. I hope you both are doing well.

As I read your comment, I couldn't help thinking back to all the dogs we have had, but one stands out. He was Hobo. He too was in a "no kill" shelter for a long time before we adopted him. He too was a mix of many breeds, but mostly poodle. He was the best dog, and a great companion for our four children. He live to be 19 the best we can figure. It was so hard to have him leave us. And we all felt the loss. But we had adopted another dog as his companion. Rusty, a red shepherd mix. The lived together with us for a couple years before Hobo left. I think Rusty was the hardest hit. But he stepped up and took Hobo's place, and I can't help but think of Hobo every day when I see Rusty. Rusty too is an exceptional dog.
          Two daughters with MS

Nothing I say should be considered medical advice, just advice from a friendly concerned person.

Comment

Prayers for your Lucy. Without my three "babies" - I don't think I could deal with my diagnosis of MS. They are my angels and keep me going. Indigo had a fainting spell/seizure this morning and I was in tears. Not a good day for me....I can understand your feelings. I was definitely having a "bad MS day" - seeing my baby girl not well. I hope Lucy feels better soon and will be wagging her tail for you - making you smile and keeping your mind off of your MS. That is what all ove my babes do every day. Be well!

Comment

Lucy is getting worse

We are taking her to the OSU vet school for an ultrasound of her pancreas. Her lipase is 3000
              I guess we shouldn't have wrapped the antibiotics in bacon to get her to take them
              I am going to warm some chicken today to see if she will eat some.
              Nothing to eat after midnight.
              We will have to see what they say to decide the next step.
              Lucy is down to 32 from her normal 35-37.
              techie
              Another pirated saying:
              Half of life is if.
              Dogs Rule!

Comment

Hi Techie,
                Im really sorry to hear about Lucy, its a terrible thing to have to go through but try to stay as strong as possible for her! Im hoping to start training as a veterinary nurse next year if i am well enough to, hearing things like this makes me all the more determined about getting there.

Throughout my life my animals have given me so much support, sometimes even more than most humans, only second to my dad and previously my mum. Its natural for you to worry like this and i know it wont make the pain go away but look after yourself, for both of you. I really hope both she and you start to feel better soon.

Comment

R. I. P. Lucy

She was riddled with at least two types of aggressive cancer and getting worse all the time.
                  She died today at the vets about 12:45.
                  She is out of pain now and happy and running free over the rainbow bridge.
                  This chapter of our lives is closed now.
                  techie
                  Another pirated saying:
                  Half of life is if.
                  Dogs Rule!

Comment

I'm so sorry your baby has passed, techie~ she was very lucky to have you in her life and you in hers. Sending you lots of (((HUGS))). Stay strong and take care.
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

So sorry about your Lucy.

She was fortunate to be loved so much by you.

Losing a family dog is difficult (sadly had to do the same a few months ago), but time does help.
                      It's bittersweet, but you have the good memories of experiencing the special love of a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by techie View Post
                        She was riddled with at least two types of aggressive cancer and getting worse all the time.
                        She died today at the vets about 12:45.
                        She is out of pain now and happy and running free over the rainbow bridge.
                        This chapter of our lives is closed now.
                        techie
                        OMG, I am so sorry for your loss Techie.
                        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

So sorry for your sad, awful loss. It is heartbreaking to lose a furry family member. Every time we lose one of ours, we find another shelter dog who needs some spoiling and love.

It hurts, though, and a new dog will never replace an old one. I still cry sometimes about the dog we lost 7 years ago.

We have so much love to give to our furry family members, and they bring us so much love and comfort that I don't think we could ever be without them.

Right now we have a 7 year old "hybrid" and a 4 year old "hybrid". Can't bear to call them mutts. All of our dogs have been rescue dogs who needed a loving home.

It will take time, but relive all of those wonderful times and memories and start healing. Take care and I'll be thinking of you.

Comment

My adopted cat got outside and hit by a car while my husband was in and out putting Halloween lights on the house. Traffic had been re routed due to paving, so we had a lot more street traffic than usual. We were careless. The cat was not a year old even. Between the guilt and the loss, I had to up my anti-depressants. Just last night my DD came from her bedroom crying and asking for a hug because she was thinking about Tigger.

Please don't let your cat outside.
                            Tawanda

Comment

So, so sorry about your cat - animals are such a joy and I know it is so painful to lose them. Good reminder for all of us to keep a better eye on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X