Need some advice on how to help bf get motivated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice on how to help bf get motivated

My boyfriend was diagnosed with MS this past August.

We had only been living together since May 2011 before he found out, and we were together maybe 5 months before that. I am older than him, he is in his mid-20s, and I am in my early 40s. I kind of feel I have to share this because it's not so much his MS that's the problem...it's really him. But, I just don't know how much of his actions are just him or the MS making him "act out" or just that he's depressed. I feel terrible for numerous reasons.

I am not sure what to do about our current situation. He just signed a year lease, is on disability, and I work from home. We both pay half the rent, he pays electric, and I pay for the internet and our food. I've had to pay for other bills/things at times as needed. We both pay for our own cell phones, he pays for his truck. He was working until a week before he was diagnosed.

When he first was diagnosed, I said nothing about the future for about two months. I figured he needed to adjust to the news, but I don't think anyone ever truly does. I just kept doing everything, cleaning, etc. and didn't say anything about his personal habits.

Anytime I try to ease into a conversation now about the future or his habits, he usually tells me to shut up and stop nagging him.

He plays video games all day, from the moment he wakes up until about 2-3am. Sometimes he might stop and go downstairs and watch tv. He has no desire to do anything at all. He rarely showers, or brushes his teeth. Sometimes I think this is due to his age at times, other days I think maybe it's the MS. There were times before diagnosis that he would not shower or brush his teeth. One of the few times he did talk to me about showering more, he said he can't stand that long in the shower, I offered to buy him a chair for the shower, he refused my offer.

Needless to say, we do not have sex, have not for some time. I just cannot bring myself to touch him when he won't take better care with his personal hygiene.

He doesn't help around the apt with cleaning or do anything for the most part. He says he can't stand and do the dishes, however, he will go outside to smoke (yes, he smokes and refuses stop) and crouches down in front of the door.

I know he feels horrible pretty much every day, and takes Betaseron every other day. He can't sleep - so he says that why he stays up playing video games. Even though I have offered to cook many times...he would rather just run out and get fast food. It's to the point where I stop suggested I'd cook something, because he won't try new things or eat healthier.

It just kills me to see him sit there wasting hours on video games, sleeping all day...doing nothing and just coasting through his life these days. I know there is a lot of fatigue involved with MS, and days you feel terrible. I just don't see him doing anything to help his situation at all.

He can't afford the physical therapy that was suggested, but his doctor suggested that he stretch at home or walk on a treadmill or just go outside and walk a little bit each day. He doesn't do this, just refuses. He also refuses to go to support meetings, or do anything really to find any sort of help with this. I had been researching sites for MS - grants, support, whether or not he could work again if he chose to, etc. But, it was a waste of my time, because he thinks any information I share with him is nagging as well.

I've been debating about leaving him, and I feel terrible about even thinking this. I just don't know what to do anymore and I know neither of us are happy these days. I also feel maybe I've enabled some of this behavior, but I probably thought I was being supportive by letting him just do what he wanted those first couple of months after his diagnosis. I just can't seem to help him get motivated to making necessary lifestyle changes or do anything about planning for a future.

Maybe I sound like a jerk for even saying that, and I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, was not my intention. I have really no one else to talk to about this. I've read plenty of stories online about peoples experiences - many were married for many years, just was unable to glean any sort of advice with this.

I do not want to hurt him, or leave him in a terrible situation. But, I think no matter what, we are both going to hurt. I do really care for him and love him. However, I feel that if we cannot work this out, that I cannot stay another year watching him play video games and not making any lifestyles changes.

I just wanted to say that I am sorry you are experiencing this. You are in a tough spot.

It is hard to tell what is an 'age' issue and what is an 'illness/depression' issue.

Your suggestions have been great and he declined all of them, told you to shut up and accused you of nagging.

This alone would send me packing. I hope things work out.
    Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

IF THERE IS ONE THING I KNOW FOR SURE FROM MY 5YR MARRIAGE....IT'S THAT YOU CANNOT CHANGE ANY PERSON BUT YOURSELF, REGARDLESS OF AGE.

ALL YOU CAN DO IS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE....SUGGEST BETTER LIFESTYLE OPTIONS FOR HIM AND WHETHER OR NOT HE DECIDES TO CHANGE IS ALL UP TO HIM.

YOU COULD MAYBE JUST LAY IT ALL OUT THERE AND ASK HIM IF IT WOULD BE EASIER FOR HIM IF YOU WERE NOT TOGETHER ANYMORE. I KNOW THAT SOUNDS BLUNT BUT SOMETIMES MEN DON'T DO SO WELL WITH SUBTLE.

JUST REMEMBER TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF REGARDLESS OF HIS DECISIONS BECAUSE YOUR HEALTH AND HAPPINESS ARE JUST AS IMPORTANT!

Comment

Good for you for reaching out, you sound genuinely concerned for both of you.

Something to ponder... if he didn't have MS, would you remain in this relationship? If the answer is "not on your life" you have your answer.

Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

My guess is that he is probably clinically depressed and I would urge him to seek counseling whether or not you decide to stay together.

FWIW as someone with MS I have no problem saying I would run away, not walk, from this situation now. As if the diagnosis of MS isn't enough of a red flag...

Imvho those young boys are ok for a quick roll in they hay if you are so inclined but dang don't let them move in!
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER! I really hate to play Dear Abby but as a guy with MS who knows way too much about abusive relationships (as a now retired forensic investigator) I can tell you that his actions are not MS related - and if it was just depression he would not have the where-with-all to play video games all day - he would likely be in bed curled up in a ball and crying himself to sleep.

Long story short - move out - move on - and find someone who treats you with repsect and constant love and affection. He will not change - men (and abusers) never do. Do not feel bad about his MS diagnosis - he obviously does not feel bad about treating you like crap. He may even try to use his "disability" as a ploy to get you to stay claiming he will change, that he will treat you better, that he will invent a new flavor of ice cream. Ignore it and realize it is just a control tactic and move on.

I have seen too many people in abusive relationships to not tell you from the heart to get out while you can. The guilt you may feel now will be less than the pain you will feel if he up his behaviours and gets physical in the future. I have seen it happen way too many times.

Comment

Working...
            X