Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for my mom

Hi everyone

I hope this is ok to post here. I'm curious if anyone has any advice on how I can help my mom deal with my diagnosis. I'm 32 and was just recently diagnosed with "demylinating disorder/disease" (Neuro says probable MS). I've been able to do a ton of research and have started coming here a lot to the forums and eating better and just focusing on being as healthy as possible.

My mom on the other hand (who came with me to the Neurologist when I got the diagnosis) seems to be taking it harder and having a hard time dealing. She also doesn't necessarily want to talk to me because she doesn't want to add any extra worry or stress on me. That's sweet, but I also don't want to have her have to try to deal with it alone.

I want to suggest she come here, as it's been really helpful for me, but I just don't know what else I can do to help her work through this.

Does anyone have any suggestions/thoughts?

my dad was the same

I called the nationalmssociety.org ( got the # from there website) but I also told me dad about the that website and this one. The National MS Society sent out info to help my kids and my dad.

He sounds like your mom...wanted to ask and talk but didn't know how. My dad still hasn't really talked to me BUT he did say that the info I gave him helped and it helped me (I read it and watched the DVD before I gave it to him) I think it was sent more to help me and my hubby for the DX but it helped all of us in the long run!

Hope things get better and your mom can find that she can talk to you. I often tell my husband that its more stressful knowing that you have things to say but won't say them because you don't want to add stress. Thats stressful!!! He doesn't also get what I'm saying but he is getting better at it.

isamadjul
    (allyson)
    DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

My mom on the other hand (who came with me to the Neurologist when I got the diagnosis) seems to be taking it harder and having a hard time dealing. She also doesn't necessarily want to talk to me because she doesn't want to add any extra worry or stress on me. That's sweet, but I also don't want to have her have to try to deal with it alone.
      dk is the best

Comment

Together

Hi Kimmy! First I want you to realize, as I'm sure you probably already do, that the reason she is so concerned is simply because she LOVES you. After all she's your mom. She is concerned FOR you. I think that you'll find that through this journey, your bond will only grow stronger. I know that it did for me and my mom. The best advice for the both of you is to do this together. That way, you'll both have an equal understanding of what's going on. Also, please keep in mind that the stronger you are through this, the easier it will be for her too. I hope that helps

Comment

Working...
        X