Am I being a fool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I being a fool?

In 2006, shortly after my mother passed away, I met a man who I felt was my soul mate. We were married three months later, bought a house, and moved his mother and brother in to an apartment in our basement. His mom is on Social Security (very low amount), but helps out on the bills, and his brother lost his job several years ago and because of his age, hasn't been able to find another.

My husband turned out to be very emotionally abusive and was starting to become physically abusive as well. I left him twice, but went back because he promised to change. That change never happened, so I left for the third and last time back in January 2010, and I never went back. We're still married, though we're planning to file divorce this year when the income tax refund arrives. I've maintained a friendly relationship with him and his family because I love his mom. She became like my surrogate mom after my mom died.

I've been helping them financially because he's disabled and gets SSDI and is on food stamps. The house payments are too much for him to pay, and I don't want his elderly mom to have to go through another move. He's been trying to work with the mortgage company and the HEMP program to get the interest rate on the house lowered for the last year and a half, but who knows when or if that will happen. (He had the house up for sale after I left, but houses just aren't selling in this area.)

I just found out yesterday that he had bought an iPad a few months ago after selling a laptop computer he didn't need. It upset me because here I am sacrificing to help him and his family to the point that I can't get medical care or medications that I need, and he's using money he should be paying bills with to buy expensive electronics that he rarely ever uses.

Should I continue to help his family financially for his mom's sake or should I tell him that enough is enough? He has a way of making me feel guilty for leaving in the first place and putting them all in a bad spot financially.

I know this really doesn't pertain to MS, except in the sense that it affects my ability financially to pay for medical care I need. (I needed to have the other cataract removed from my left eye in December, but couldn't do it because I still owe the doctor from my first cataract surgery. Now my $1,000 deductible has kicked back in, and who knows when I'll ever be able to have the surgery done. I also do without my meds sometimes because I can't afford to get them.)

Thanks for your input.

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

I justed wanted to send big hugs your way.

As for helping his family financially, I think you need to go with your heart...seems you are benefitting from the relationship with mother.

As for him, I have no tolerance for abuse, so I would not do anything to help him, but that is just me.

I truly hope things get better for you.
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

call me callous, but i don`t see how you can help them financially untill all your needs and obligations are met and taken care of. i think that by helping his mom, you are helping him. just MHO
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Lisa, in reading your post my first thought was how soft hearted you are

As much as you care about his mother, she is his mother and his responsibility.

He has a way of making me feel guilty for leaving in the first place and putting them all in a bad spot financially.
        Your husband, soon to be ex, will not change and will not accept any responsibility for his actions. That is why he makes you feel guilty...money and control.

Take the control back, Lisa.

Enough is enough.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you all. I've decided that this month will be the last month that I'll be helping my soon-to-be-ex-husband. He's had two years to either sell the house or make other arrangements for it. His brother is working part time now, so perhaps he can help pick up the slack. Or my ex could sell that iPad. Whichever.

(I'm sorry I didn't reply back sooner. Sometimes I'll post something and then forget that I did!)
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Working...
          X