Anybody here with MS ever...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody here with MS ever...

...have any experience either good or bad trying to find a partner by subscribing to one of the major online dating services? I don’t think I can name the service here but I do have a friend that found his partner that way - he’s healthy though. I’m wondering if people that carry the kind of baggage I carry with my disease (severely dependent patient lift / power wheelchair user) have had or heard of a success story or have any other suggestions for a person that seldom leaves their house?

Further question ... how many feel that very handicapped people should only seek out partners that are in similar condition or pretty close?

My dear friend found a "connection" on facebook with a man in a wheelchair. I don't know his medical background, but I understand that he has assistants to help him with his daily care/routine.

That is my only experience with online dating having to do with disabilities.
    Diagnosed November 1995
    Started Copaxone 9/11

Comment

Are you looking for companionship or for a 'hands on' relationship?

You know the reality if you're after the latter.

That said, who knows what might happen?

My chap and I are the most unlikely combination imaginable. We'd met just before the MS thing began, 15 years ago, and the whole disease thing has never bothered him.

He was a buckjump rider, and has a fair limp of his own. Also he has no spleen, not much of a left lung, and he can't see out of one eye, so maybe we've got more in common now than we did before I got MS.

I'm glad we don't have children together, though, because I think that would be a real strain.

Comment

????hi

moaning paul here ,what is a buck jumper,happy new year to all
        i dont understand i cant write on screen

Comment

Buckjump riding is Australian for bronc riding, which is rodeo for riding a bucking horse. He was also a bull rider, a bull dogger and a wild horse breaker.
          All of which mean big animals throw you violently to the ground from time to time. Probably with good cause.
          I was a demure student and school teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by onthesamepage View Post
            ...I’m wondering if people that carry the kind of baggage I carry with my disease (severely dependent patient lift / power wheelchair user) have had or heard of a success story or have any other suggestions for a person that seldom leaves their house?

Further question ... how many feel that very handicapped people should only seek out partners that are in similar condition or pretty close?
            These are **** good questions.

First question: Leave the house more...I need to take my own advice on that one. I think if you had no problem getting women before MS...you will have more of a problem now, in the condition we are mutually in. But if you are smart, sophisticated, funny and decent looking...you should do allright.

Second question: I do not think we should limit ourselves only to people with similar levels of disability...that's ridiculous!

Comment

You are right that limiting ourselves any further would be ridiculous.

People in my condition cannot get out though unless they have the help of someone that must accompany them for the duration as well - this is very limiting in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by onthesamepage View Post
                You are right that limiting ourselves any further would be ridiculous.

People in my condition cannot get out though unless they have the help of someone that must accompany them for the duration as well - this is very limiting in itself.
                I'm a person in your condition, so I hear what your saying. Do you really need to be accompanied for the duration?

I need to get out as badly as you do and am good at finding obstacles as well. There are solutions.

Comment

Working...
                X