Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie dating someone w/ MS...

Hey y'all.

Wasn't sure where to go and was directed here.

I'm newly dating someone with MS and I'm now learning more about it, both from the person I'm dating and from other resources... But I've realized I also need support as "someone who's dating someone with MS." I don't really feel comfortable talking about some of the things I'm struggling with - in myself - in a public forum yet, especially online. Anonymous though it may be.

In one of the chat rooms, someone said there are specific message boards for women and men, and I'd really like to be able to talk to other women who have male partners with MS. Where can I do that safely? The "For Women" message board appears to be for Women with MS, not for women partners of men with MS.

Any feedback on resources for support for me would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jelly.

This is a safe place...this Forum appears to be the right spot. Go ahead and post, you have nothing to fear.

Comment

Hello Jellyfish and welcome to MSWorld.

Feel free to post in any forum. If you so choose you can ask a question on the women's forum.

If you are concerned about privacy it is important to note that unless you are on a private website anyone can read what you post, MSWorld is not a private website. Once you post anything on the internet it can show up on search engines such as google.

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society has a wealth of information which you might find helpful:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/index.aspx
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I also am a person dating someone with ms.

I began dating a man a couple of months ago and things were really good. He is in a wheel chair but very independent and able to care for himself. Part of what drew me to him was his strength and determination to not let ms rule his life In the beginning he was concerned with what my friends, family etc would think about myself dating someone with ppms. (My husband died about 12 years ago from colon cancer at an early age, my last child left for college this year and I began to have a life for myself.) I was finally able to reassure him of love for him and when I look at him I don't see a wheel chair with a man who can't walk, I see a man with his strength, a good heart and a good man. He began to have a flare and now feels so crappy he told me when he feels this bad he doesn't like to see or talk to people. I am very tender hearted and enjoy doing for him when he will allow me too but when he told me this I took it personally and cried and said well when you do want to see me call me and hung up. I feel like a heel now and it's killing me because I haven't talked to him or seen him....

Is it common to not want to talk to or see someone when your ms flares? I can understand not wanting to be around a bunch of people but someone that you are extremely close to and love?

He is always talking about not wanting to be a burden to anyone. He doesn't like it when someone ask him how he is feeling. I have so much to learn....

Comment

i gotta say as i read your short post you must truly care about this person to take the time to do some research on your own as well as get some support for you.....

good for you....
          Jen Dx'd 5/11
          "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

I have a BF w/MS

Hello

I found this site also and read around trying to understand more about this disease and how I can best deal with the whole thing and how best to help my man.

He was recently dx'd with MS and we have been together for almost 4 years. He also is Type 1 diabetic (+ others). We now live together and are trying to adjust to everything.

If the issue you want to discuss is private and you would be more comfortable in email w.someone my email is on my profile.

Good Luck , I hope you find some great info on this site.

Kathy
            Peace ~~ Kat

Comment

Working...
            X