Divorce and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divorce and MS

My husband of nearly 25 years told me he was through today -- that he had hired a divorce attorney and was going to file next week.

I have had MS for about 16 years. Like my disease itself, our marriage has had its ups and down. We have been very happy in the past, have two children together -- an 18-year-old who is still in high school and a college student -- but there have also been lows. We went for counseling for awhile but quit when my husband said he couldn't afford the cost.

I am actually feeling pretty good right now -- a change in medication a couple of years ago helped a lot -- put I have lost vision, hearing, have slurred speech, periodic confusion and sometimes need a cane or walker. I was hospitalized in May for another exacerbation.

Unfortunately our whole family has had some health problems -- my husband nearly died when our oldest child 2 from a gastrointestinal problem, both our children were premature, had learning difficulties, asthma, I was diagnosed with MS, my son was injured in a car accident and most recently the oldest child suffered a serious sports-related injury.

We have also faced career changes; my husband was originally in the newspaper business but was forced out when a new owner bought the local newspaper, and returned to school to became an attorney. I stayed home with the children when they were small, and then worked part time when they went to school but stopped about 5 years ago when my MS symptoms got worse.

Unfortunately being an attorney hasn't worked out financially -- my husband was let go from the firm that hired him out of law school, and now his age (56) and the economy are against him. I have tried to return to work, working though a vocational rehabilitation program, etc., but haven't been able to find a job. Meanwhile we are paying outrageous premiums -- thousands of dollars a month -- for health insurance through the state high risk pool.

My husband has periodically threatened to divorce me in the past, using it largely as a leverage to get me to do what he wants, especially in regards to our children. He has always had a large ego and been very controlling; but even more so when things are not going well. But to my knowledge he has never consulted a divorce attorney before. I think our youngest son turning 18 last month may be a significant factor in his decision.

I also overheard my husband talking to his father this evening and the high cost of our healthcare was mentioned several times. It was hard to hear my father-in-law and my husband joking about my MS -- "Well now that you told her your going to divorce her, she'll probably get sick" and "She'll never find a job now that your divorcing her..." My father-in-law has been married and divorced 3 times.

But in the past the cost of the health care hasn't been cited as a reason to divorce -- instead my husband complained that I wasn't respectful of his wishes, didn't defer to him in matters involving the children, that the children didn't do enough around the house, that he had to do everything, felt like a doormat, that he wasn't getting anything out of our relationship, no emotional support, etc.

Obviously my husband's complaints are often valid -- he does do more than his fair share because of my illness -- laundry, shopping, care of the lawn, etc. And the children, although they do help, are busy with school and sports. I have tried to be supportive and show appreciation -- say please and thank you, be thoughtful, considerate, and kind to his aging mother. I was behind him 100% when he decide to go back to law school and encourage his participation in a masters-level recreational sport he enjoys -- but I think we are all just worn down.

The other thing I don't understand is that my husband says he has no intention of moving out of our home after he files for divorce. He says he intends to stay until the house is sold. My husband also told me he would give me the names of 5 divorce attorneys I could pick from to represent me. I may be a little slow but I managed to come back with "No, I'll find my own attorney."

I know that divorce is very common among people with MS; usually with the husband divorcing the wife. I'm sure there are others out there who have heard the same words I heard today, "I can't take it anymore." I would appreciate any support or advice you might be able to offer.

38 views but not a single reply???

Unfortunately looking at the other posts in the Relationship and Carepartnering category perhaps it's too common a question. It's sad that so many marriages end in divorce when the wife has MS. Thanks anyway; I'll look for help elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Markle_Mill View Post
      Unfortunately looking at the other posts in the Relationship and Carepartnering category perhaps it's too common a question. It's sad that so many marriages end in divorce when the wife has MS. Thanks anyway; I'll look for help elsewhere.
      Welcome Markle_Mill!

You will get replies. I promise. But the board is not very busy in the middle of the night, especially on a weekend!

I'm so very sorry for what you are going through. Others here have experienced similar situations. I'm sure they will chime in soon.

Hang in there.

Be well,

Comment

Markel Mill

I am so very sorry about all you are going through - dealing with MS is a burden in itself without relationship issues too. I truly wish I had some answers for you but sorry to say I do not.

I have been married since the age of 18 to the same man and yes, lots of ups and downs but we have survived 50 years together. I am the one with MS but was diagnosed late in life - children were already grown.

It will be difficult for you to have to go through this, but I do send my best wishes to you and the only suggestion I have would be to confide in someone you know and trust as talking about it is sure the first step.

The best of luck to you.

Comment

My husband has periodically threatened to divorce me in the past, using it largely as a leverage to get me to do what he wants, especially in regards to our children. He has always had a large ego and been very controlling; but even more so when things are not going well.
          It sounds like you may be better off without him once all of this is through. If you think all of his complaints are valid, he has you snowed. You deserve better. Marriage is a partnership, and even when one party is ill, it's give and take, and it sounds like he's very much on the take and trying to make you feel guilty for being ill as well as for not always letting him have his way. Neither of those is OK.

I hope you find a great lawyer and that you can find the best resolution to the divorce possible. xoxo

Comment

MM--

Because your husband seems, from your description, to be demanding, belligerent, and unwilling to consider your needs, as well as apparently intent on divorce, I would recommend you get your OWN attorney (not one he has suggested) NOW. It may help to ask friends who have been through divorce if they know a good family law attorney (you want someone who specialized in family law, and who has significant experience IN YOUR STATE, as property laws differ from state to state).

If you have limited financial resources and live in or near a better-populated area, there may be a Legal Aid clinic that can help refer you to a competent attorney who will work for reduced fees.

I am not a family law attorney, but I do know that since you two have been married for a long time, have children (even though you won't have custody issues, there still may be some college-support to hammer out), own property together, and because he is a lawyer, and thus may have more experience with the legal system, you should get your own attorney, and now. For example, he doesn't automatically get to live in the house until it's sold. Either you two agree to what happens to the house, or a court decides. He doesn't get to just throw around proclamations like that.

I am coming at all of this from the legal angle, of course. It sounds like there has been an imbalance of power between you and your husband for a while, so it seems to me to be important -- if this divorce is going to happen -- to get an attorney and get in the legal system. That way, a court is weighing in on your husband's actions.

Also -- and you probably know this -- don't sign ANYTHING he asks you to sign without first having your own attorney review whatever it is.

I am really sorry you are experiencing this. Do you have a good support network in your town? Family you can stay with, or someone who can some stay with you? Even just a friend to vent to? I have been through a divorce, too, and I know how awful and stressful it can be-- even when you're completely healthy.

Comment

Thank you for all your replies --

Again, I really appreciate your insight. I emailed a family practice/divorce attorney today who was recommended by a family member and will check with friends for more suggestions this week...

Comment

daughter whose father is filing for divorce soon

Hi, sorry I'm a little late on finding this post. I came to this site basically to learn more about MS, try to help my Mom and my Dad, and also to see if someone was having a similar situation to mine.

Anyway, my Mom and Dad have been together since high school and married for 20 years. My Mom was diagnosed with MS around 10-12 years ago. She was working at the time, but did not last very long at all. She was diagnosed with progressive MS. She has no relapses or exacerbations. It's there 24/7. She currently is wheelchair bound. She can walk very short distances if someone holds on to her. She needs help feeding herself, bathing, changing clothes, etc. Obviously unable to do housework.

Everything that seems "normal" every day work to most people is a challenge or impossible for her (as i'm sure others experience the same). My Mom has NEVER complained, NEVER argued with my Dad about anything. He comes and goes as he pleases. Goes on trips with friends. You name it he's allowed to do it.

Well... now after all this time he decides "I just can't live like this anymore.". There are other things that play into this decision as well. If you would like to know more I'll post it, but I know this is already becoming a long post. Anyway, I recdently wrote a 3 page letter to him trying to express my brother and I's feelings and how my Mom would feel if she could express herself, but it didn't phase him at all. My Mom is able to talk and has emotions, but for some reason she is unable to just "lay down the law" for my Dad or even express how she feels. My Dad complains of having no cooked meals (i'm 25 my brother is 22 and we both live outside of our childhood home), not having a connection, not having this not having that. Well... you know what everyone diagnosed with MS DID NOT choose that path. It's not your fault! You know what "to death do us part...for sickness and in health.".

I understand that there are a lot of things that have happened in your lives, but that's supposed to make you stronger. You are supposed to be his rock and he is supposed to be yours. He should be thankful for the things you ARE able to do and CAN talk about. He could have a wife who is totally incapable of doing just about anything. That's not fair at all... he should really take a look at himself. If you could change your diagnosis I'm sure you would! You can only try the medications and do what the doctor tells you to do. Live life one day at a time. Times are incredibly tough, but that's no reason to give up!

I think that is absolutely awful that he is going to leave you and sell the house and whaever else he's got up his sleeve. My Dad has not told my Mom yet, but he "says" he's leaving her the house. I don't think I'm leaving it up to him to to tell her because he'll wait until the week of filing himself.

This makes me so angry! I'm so sorry you and your family have to go through this. I can only imagine how your kids feel... because I'm feeling it as we speak. All I can say is if he does go through with it get yourself a good lawyer. I wish you and your family the best!

Comment

Working...
                X