son with autism just dx with MS, need some guidance please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Information

Thank you for sharing and caring for your son.

I would like to talk about the medications. You were thinking that you would like to use Avonex. This particular medication has alot of people talking about rough flu like sx for 24 hours. Was wondering if you wanted to do this. You can premedicate with alieve and other medications and can do fluids to help. Just wanted to point it out.

Rebiff and Betaserone is simular and more frequent shots, but reported less side effects.

Then you have copaxone which is a daily shot with reported local reactions, like redness and itching.

You have to decide what is best for your situation.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

thanks kelm10 for your reply. I had read about the flu-like after effects with Avonex, and that has concerned me. Does this lessen with time, do you know?

Comment

hi. i am a speech therapist, and dh has ms.

i wonder if speech evaluation/ consultation in your area might be a good idea. i'm sure you've run the course with speech therapy over the years, but if you could talk with a ST in a rehabilitative setting, i would that would be the best thing to do right now. they'd have insight into nonverbal/ alternative communication systems for communicating pain, discomfort, etc.
        i'm thinking picture book with body parts, ratings of pain/discomfort using smiley faces/color representations. i don't mean to offend if your son is higher level than this. you could adapt to your specific needs. but you'd have to teach what the pics mean, like days when feeling well, have a happy face picture, days when not, show frown pics to teach. or use of sign language, not sure what his method of communication is at this time.

Comment

Link with MS and Autism???

I have been reading these post and see that a young man has both autism and MS. I wonder if any link has been made genetically between those two diseases? I ask because I have an autistic daughter, yet I have MS.

Just curious and still trying to learn. I was dx March 1, 2010

Comment

I have wondered the same thing. I haven't been able to find any research about a correlation between MS and Autism. How old is your daughter?

Comment

My daughter is now 7, was diagnosed when she was 2. I just got diagnosed with MS in March. i have a friend with a son who has asperger's syndrome and she has MS...so I wonder about the link.

Comment

Or perhaps a link with autoimmune disorders in general and autism? I have rheumatoid arthritis. As much research as has been done on MS and Autism, you would think someone would do a study to see if there is an increased incidence in families of both things.

Comment

I am glad that I found this topic. I am the one with MS and I have a 3 year old son that has autism. I was Dx over 7 years ago (I just turned 40) and my mobility is not very good, so it makes it difficult for me to corral the little guy for diaper changes. My wife has been a rock to be able to deal with all of this and we still hold out hope that with all of the therapy and school it will help him. He has had pretty intensive therapy since he was 2 and now he is in the school districs program - preschool for half the day and therapy for autism for the other half. He is verbal, making sounds, but no speaking of words at this point. Luckily, he is a sweet little guy and we also have a 9 year old son who is a big help to me when Mom isn't around.

Comment

Seems like there may be a lot of us out there who have MS and Autism in the same family. Wish I was a little smarter, I'd do a research study. I can't find where one has ever been done. Good luck to you and your family 2Live. I think you have every reason to be hopeful about your son, by the way. The newer therapies for autism have made a huge difference since the days when my son was little when there was nothing available to help. Stay strong!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X