Parenting from bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parenting from bed

So for the past few weeks, I have pretty much been confined to my bed. Now, because my husband is also home on short term disability, the kids are well taken care of... But I still need to pitch in!! However, I am finding it really hard to find ways to!
    I read the bedtime story, and once in a while we watch a movie together, or play board games, but that isn't really parenting...... I guess I am just having troubles with not being able to be a part of my families every day live.
    Has anyone else gone through this? Do you have any advice on how to cope??
    thanks
    Heather

Well, hopefully you wont be bed ridden for long. Or sharing you is parenting the best you can. What can you do as it isnt your fault. Keeping spirits up. MayBe that is a good lesson for them. God be with u.

Comment

You can still do great parenting and it sounds like you still are. Our children want our time and attention - yours is pretty undivided right now. I am not sure of your children's ages; but, even my college girls are not above crawling in bed with me to sit and color and talk about random things. I also have these cards in a jar (purchased on Amazon) called choices. Out of the blue, I will pull one out and ask a question. It can break up the tension and worry that you all may be feeling.

Here is an example: If you had to choose would you rather live without electricity or running water? Why?

Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

Hi Heather! If you haven't already, please read my most recent post (A take from a 23 year old). I hope that it helps you

Comment

Where is your bed located?
          I would have TWO beds, one in my room, and one in the family room.

This way, you are in the center of the family home and activity. They can come to you for help with their homework, You can call out instructions on how to put together a meal or wash the laundry.
          You can ask them questions about what they are looking up on the computer.
          You can draw pictures, play chess or watch TV with them.
          Have them play their favorite album and discuss the merits of their music preference.

Talk about boys....girls...friends...teachers....subjects.... sports.
          What do you want to teach them?
          You are their first teacher.

Comment

I would set up shop in the living room and help with homework and whatever, and just to feel like more a part of things.

Good luck!
            Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Im in relapse and am mommy in the recliner at the moment. It's not ideal. MS is never going to leave me with ideal... (self pity done for now) but here I can do crafts with my 3yo, watch TV, holler to my husband as he tries to cook a vegetable. He's little and I'm not entirely bed ridden so I will go lay with him and read stories or flop on the porch in the morning so he can tricycle in circles in the yard and bounce with the dog. I have lap trays and we do ABC mouse preschool on my laptop so he can be with me. I just find ways to be in the middle of it all. hugs.

Comment

Working...
              X