Question for all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for all

This may or may not be the right spot for this question but I'm going to ask anyway.

My wife has had MS for almost 33 years, our son the youngest may also be DX with it he is showing symptoms and is going for a MRI today.

Am I correct that this is extremely RARE for a parent and child to both come down with this?

I know it runs in families but I have only ONCE heard of it this close.

Anyone have some feedback?

Just went through this too

My son just had an MRI recently because of worry and a scare with eye symptoms. Both his father and myself have RRMS. There is a chance that there is a higher tendency to being dx'd with MS but it is not a given fact that your children will get it. I think it's a little higher than it is for those with no family history but from what was explained to me, they don't feel this is definitely genetically passed. I believe the numbers can be found on the nat. ms society pages.

Luckily, my son's MRI came back clear of lesions. I was very relieved.

I understand your fear and I'll be praying for your family and your son. Let me know how it goes.

Krysalus

Comment

I have 2 cousions, I think 2nd cousions. out there whos Mother had MS.
      and they both have MS. and one other of there siblings has something like MS that affects the hart and lungs. go figure, and I was eight years old always knew I would have it. It showed all the way up in my early 40's.
      last I heard J and J the cousins where in a study back about 8 years ago.

Comment

dh's neuro says 1:1000 if you have no family history. and if you have any family history, like a 3rd cousin, OR a parent, chances are 1:40. he insists it doesnt' make a difference if its a parent or distant relative who has it. chances remain the same. iworry too. dh has ms, he has 1 cousin with it. i had a distant cousin with it. i worry for our children too. gotta live for today. but its not always easy.

Comment

strange case

I am recently diagnosed (last tuesday), I am 29, however I am not new to the "club" in any way. My mother was diagnosed in 1983. She is not doing very well now. She has always been an activist and has head many MS related events as well as the local support group. Here's the catch.....she is my step mother. The shock of this alone is something I can not seem to move past. I have lived with the disease my whole life and now I will forever. I don't know how to handle this. any advice? Do you think that living with MS can increase your chances of getting MS? just trying to figure this all out.

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferautumn View Post
            I am recently diagnosed (last tuesday), I am 29, however I am not new to the "club" in any way. My mother was diagnosed in 1983. She is not doing very well now. She has always been an activist and has head many MS related events as well as the local support group. Here's the catch.....she is my step mother. The shock of this alone is something I can not seem to move past. I have lived with the disease my whole life and now I will forever. I don't know how to handle this. any advice? Do you think that living with MS can increase your chances of getting MS? just trying to figure this all out.

well, they say they don't know what causes MS, so anything's possible....for me, my great grandpa had it

Comment

Working...
            X