Mother / Son dance???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mother / Son dance???

I have no clue how I am going to do this. My son is getting married soon. It is going to be a huge challenge for me to do the traditional mother/son dance. Has anyone been there? Could you share some insight? I am worried enough about standing up straight, let alone "dancing" with a smile. I know that my son is worried too. It would dissappoint him if we didn't dance. Thank you in advance.

My heart breaks for you, I know there is nothing that would make you happier than be able to have that dance.

Is your son big enough where he could pick you up and dance with you? Maybe dance to just a small part of the song? Maybe use a rollator and sit on the seat and he can push it just like your dancing with each other?
    Dedra
    Son with MS

Comment

My oldest son got married two years ago. His wife has two fathers (biological and step) and didn't want to dance with one so we used my MS as the excuse not to have the Mother/Son Father/Daughter dance.

But I did dance the anniversary dance with DH. We had a great time. I could trust him to not let me fall and we only danced for a little while. Mostly a standing hug but I call it a dance since I wobbled (he he)

If you and your son are looking forward to it, go for it. Just plan ahead. Don't get overstressed or overtired before. Keep it short. Don't try to be fancy. You know what you can do.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the day!

Comment

My father passed away a little over 2 yrs ago and let me tell you when i got married 7 yrs ago he was incapacitated to the point of not being able to operate his electric wheelchair anymore. I sat on his lap ( 33 weeks pregnant mind you) and slowly moved his chair to the song we had picked out. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. Please consider the memories for everyone for that very special day, it is something that everyone will treasure for years to come. If you dont feel very sturdy on your feet you don't have to move over the whole dance floor just hang on to him and sway, and let him know how much it means to you. Being diagnosed 6 months after my dads passing I can only hope that i am around for my 2 little ones weddings. God Bless and congrats on the up coming wedding in your family, relax take time for yourself and don't stress
        Trying to Live by the motto: To blessed to be stressed!!

Comment

DD just gotr married on Sept. 5. I am not that bad yet, so I was able to dance Anniversary dance with dh, and a few others. Do all you7 can to dance the mother son dance. My sil mom is 84 and they danced part of it together, but all of those traditional dances bring great memories. Do only part of it, dance with your chair or rollator, or yeah, have him pick you up. Try not to get toostressed and if you can, do what I did, went and took a nap between church and reception. My nurse also told me I could miss my Rebif shot on Friday night before. Let us know how it turns out. What a big day for your family. Enjoy
          JudyS

Comment

When I got married somehow the father/daughter dance was forgotten about. I realized later that night but it was too late by then. I always regretted that and felt awful.

I got divorced 7 years ago and so I thought there could always be another chance right.

My dad passed away 2 years ago. There will never be another moment like that.

I know how special these things are and how precious the memories are. Even if you only stand still and move a little to the music for a few seconds, or sit in a chair while he wheels you to music - don't miss out on this special memory.

Make it special for you. Don't worry what others think.

Kid
            When life hands you lemons, you better start making alot of lemonaide.

Comment

i think fewer weddings have mother-son dances. the big one is the father-daughter dance really. if you skipped it no one would even THINK it was bc of your difficulty. but if you or your son really want to have it, i think you should just make it shorter if you are able to stand at all. you could start your dance, go for 30 sec to a minute, and then transition to a group dance, or bridal party dance.

Comment

BEEN THERE

My son was married last May. I use w/c when out so when it was time for mother/son dance I wheeled to side of dance floor and my son pulled me up. My feet wouldn't move but we swayed back and forth. We both have a precious memory of our "dance". Don't worry! However, it has to be done it will be ok!!

Comment

When my son got married. The Mother/Son dance was very special to him and me. He had a DJ and had ordered the DJ to shorten the music. He helped me walk to the dance floor and basicly held me up. At first I felt very self concous (? spelling). We more or less just stayed in one place moving to the music. But now 2 years later looking at the pictures. I feel proud.
                  SgrammieD

Comment

My son just celebrated his 8th anniversary. He wanted the dance but knew that I had long given up dancing because of severe balance and dizziness issues. We stood, him holding me up mostly and just swayed a little back and forth the Carole King's "Glad You Are a Child of Mine". I will never forget that moment, so go for it and don't worry what other's will say. If they know your condition they will have tears in their eyes, if they don't know you and seem amused, their opinions don't matter anyway. Your son's opinion is the one that matters here.
                    "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

Working...
                    X