Feeling a bit frustrated and helpless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling a bit frustrated and helpless

I don't know if anyone can give me ideas or advice, or if I just need to vent a little. Or maybe I just would like to know if anyone else is in the same boat and how they cope.

My bf has MS and has had as long as I've known him. We've been together for about 4.5 years.

It's the financial concerns that are making me feel really helpless at the moment. We don't live together (we live in separate cities right now because of my work situation, but we see each other a lot).

I'm earning very little money, but I'm fortunate enough to have a family that helps me. I'm struggling to get some sort of a promotion, or a better job in my field. Some people in my field in my situation work 2 or 3 part-time jobs. I can't do that because it would mean not seeing him at all. And I have my own health concerns that would make doing that extremely difficult.

His disability cheque is just getting cut again. He already lacks food for at least a few days to a week per month, and this cut means he's likely to be starving for a good week or more each month. Food banks are difficult for him because it's physically painful for him to walk the distance, he's a bit of a picky eater (it's complicated), and he's developed allergies later in life.

I help out financially as much as I can, but technically I'm part of the "working poor" right now. And it's really hard on his pride to have to accept anything from me, especially under my current circumstances.

Even if we did live in the same city (and I had a better job so could afford to live there), we would likely have separate places. If I did (finally) start to earn a decent wage, he would lose part or all of his disability cheque, and psychologically that would feel like a huge loss of independence for him. Also, he earns just barely a bit more per year past the cutoff for me to get any sort of tax break for living with him.

Right now I just hope my working situation improves so I can be of more help. I'm more concerned about him than about me in terms of finances, because I always have family to rely on, whereas he just has me.

Sorry for the long rant....I think I just need to get it out of my system. And I only have one friend who I would feel comfortable sharing this with, and his mom is dying of a rare disease right now so it would be horribly bad timing for me to start complaining about all of this.

mobile meals

Have him check into mobile meals.

Not sure on the qualificaitons, but if getting to the food bank is difficult then maybe it would be covered for him.

Even if he is a picky eater maybe it can suppliment what he does buy.

Good luck.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I cannot speak for Canada, but if I were in your/his shoes here, I would check into both the Catholic and the Lutheran charities.

Would not be surprised, if they are also active in Canada. I would reach out to them to see if they can supplement your BF's food supply, and if a volunteer could deliver the food to him.

Hang in there, and I am glad that you came here to vent
      'MM' = Marion with Espe, Trusty & in Loving Memory of Madeleine

* Another Beta Babe Since 2007 *

Comment

Thanks for the information . I'll look into those.

Thanks also for listening. It did help a lot to just get it out of my system.

And I'm being hopeful that I will get a better job soon so I can be of more assistance. With the economy improving I'm starting to see the first signs that things are looking up in my field.

Comment

good luck i hope you find some resources out there. your a good person for caring so much about him.

hang in there
          Jen Dx'd 5/11
          "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Working...
          X