Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venting again

I don't post here like I used to.
    I have been living with MS since 200c6. MyS really wasn't on my Christmas list that year. It hit me on December 15. It was rough at first. Stroke symptoms. They did an MRI that evening. My first MRI showed black holes in my head.
    I've tried working but it is not working. I am currently waiting for a hearing for Social Security.
    I know that I always say that work is a dirty word, but I miss working.

It's hard when you realize you can't work anymore, but just keep reminding yourself that you did the best you could for as long as you could. It took me a solid year to finally accept that I was "retired", but I just keep telling myself that I deserve this chance to indulge in hobbies and just relax all day. Good luck with your SS!

Comment

Yes; I know what you mean by missing being able to work. I hadn't realized how much I identified myself by career and what I "did" until I could no longer "do" it.

Best wishes for a quick and successful conclusion to your SSA application. I hope you are approved soon.

Meanwhile, please begin to look for meaningful activities that can replace employment. For me, initially, it was volunteer work in my church and community. I could determine what, and how much, I said "Yes" to. For you, it might be something else -- hobbies, reading, writing/, journalling, family, friends, etc.

Thinking of you.

- Faith
      ​​
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I too miss it, even 8 years out. It was especially hard when all family and friends were working. But it truly was the best decision, allowing me to better manage fatigue and other symptoms.

I also found volunteering a great fit, letting me manage the hours and tasks I volunteer for.

Also great to have diverse interests, things that require physical activity (gardening, exercising) vs cognitive (reading, crossword puzzles), and things that require both (sewing, wood carving, candle making). That way, you can pursue these interests based on how you are feeling.

The hardest thing for me to accept was that I could no longer do some activities to the same standard I did years ago and /or I may need help. Once I accepted that, life became much more enjoyable.

If you can, try to find some things you enjoy to keep busy and help you relax.

Good luck to you with your disability application.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X