Cataracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cataracts

Today I had my first cataract surgery. I have a low corneal cell count so it was more risky than they usually are. I am so relieved to say that everything went very well. Navigating these situations in Italian is tricky especially with masks on. I have lived in Italy for 17 years but speak English at home and when I am out with my son. My Italian is passable but in new medical situations it takes a lot. I had 5 sheets of instructions in Italian but with Google translate managed just fine.

My MS doctor speaks English but insists that we communicate in Italian which I agree with totally. I think it is funny that my husband can get by very well in hardware stores or in any situation that requires repairs. I do pretty good with all my doctors. I feel like I have seen half the doctors in Rome for one reason or another. I had breast cancer. I have an oncologist for high blood pressure and I won't bore you with the rest. Just to say the medical care I have received here has always been excellent!

Glad to hear the surgery was good and no complications. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Also great to hear your care has been wonderful across many specialties. I have trouble enough with docs in English. Thinking about how much longer it would take me having to translate too!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I just had my second cataract this past Wednesday and had a lense put in. Saw my opthalmologist yesterday and I'm seeing 20/20 but still need reading glasses.
      Is everything brighter to you?

I'm glad your surgery went well and glad you have wonderful medical care.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

My follow up was yesterday. There was no cell damage and I am so happy that I can actually see better. My second surgery will be in a few weeks and my doctor says that I will only have to wear glasses to read too. Thank you for your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
          Today I had my first cataract surgery. I have a low corneal cell count so it was more risky than they usually are. I am so relieved to say that everything went very well. Navigating these situations in Italian is tricky especially with masks on. I have lived in Italy for 17 years but speak English at home and when I am out with my son. My Italian is passable but in new medical situations it takes a lot. I had 5 sheets of instructions in Italian but with Google translate managed just fine.

My MS doctor speaks English but insists that we communicate in Italian which I agree with totally. I think it is funny that my husband can get by very well in hardware stores or in any situation that requires repairs. I do pretty good with all my doctors. I feel like I have seen half the doctors in Rome for one reason or another. I had breast cancer. I have an oncologist for high blood pressure and I won't bore you with the rest. Just to say the medical care I have received here has always been excellent!
          That is really awesome that you are able to navigate medical care in a European country, with MS on top of it.

i have heard that the medical care in Rome is some of the best in the world. It makes sense because the world’s Catholics community adores il Papa.

One of my swimming friends is a professor who was hired to do some teaching in Rome. When she got home she couldn’t walk. Then she said she got hit by a bus in Rome.

She was in the hospital for 4 months. But she said the medical care was wonderful. They patched her up and she made a full recovery.

So I am impressed. Your doctor is being really supportive by giving you a place to practice your Italian, too.

​​​​​​​its nice to hear from you.

Comment

Wonderful! I've heard good reports and success stories from friends and family who have had cataract surgery. In fact, my Dad, who was born with severe nystagmus and near-sightedness (if he was born today, he'd be considered special needs in school, due to poor vision), reported better vision after his cataract surgery, at the age of 79, than he'd ever had in his life.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
            X