From Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Italy

I've been with MSWorld since 2013. I have learned a lot and appreciate the input I have received here. I moved to Italy almost 17 years ago. I retired from my job, sold our house and my husband and I came to Rome with 3 suitcases and a dog. I was dx when I was living here and there is a great MS center and I have a great neurologist. Because we speak English at home all the time
    there is still a bit of a language barrier though I get by OK. But I have never had anyone here that I could talk to about my symptoms, concerns, even fears. So thank you MSWorld, I could do it here!

I had visited Italy several times before we moved here. We had no idea how long we would stay here and the time has flown by. It is very different from the US in ways we never dreamed of. We live in the heart of Rome. Our building is over 400 years old and we have cobblestone streets. We shop for fresh veggies in an open air market that also has a butcher and fish store nearby. We have our coffee in a beautiful piazza just blocks from our apartment. There is a very old church across the piazza from our coffee bar so we can often see weddings, funerals and christenings. My son moved to a small town an hour by train from Rome. He and I are very close. He comes to Rome once a week and we go to the park (there are several to choose from). On other days I take the train to a city called Anguillara which is on lake Bracciano. This has been very good for me. I am always dizzy, have bad balance, among other things but I remain eternally grateful that I can still do these things.

I wanted to tell you how much this site has meant to me. Thank you!

Hi loopey!

Thank you for sharing a bit of your 'world', living in Italy. Very interesting!

We appreciate having you here as an active member, and always enjoy your posts.

All the best to you, your husband, and your son!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi loopey.

I always wondered how you wound up in Italy! We were there 10 years ago. We were only in Rome 5 days and loved it. Truly an easy city to get around, although our cab ride from the airport to our hotel was a little frightening Traffic is crazy. Also visited Venice, Naples, and Sorrento. We hope to go back one day to see more. There is so much to see in Rome and all of Italy. Your lake trips sound wonderful. Trains make it easy to travel in Europe. If we do get back one day, I will let you know!

Glad you have wonderful care for your MS and a great neuro. I am always glad to see your posts. As they say, noone really gets MS (no matter how hard they try), except for those living with MS.

​​​​​​​Take care ad keep enjoying your adopted city and country!

Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
        ... We live in the heart of Rome. Our building is over 400 years old and we have cobblestone streets. We shop for fresh veggies in an open air market that also has a butcher and fish store nearby. We have our coffee in a beautiful piazza just blocks from our apartment. There is a very old church across the piazza from our coffee bar so we can often see weddings, funerals and christenings. ...

I wanted to tell you how much this site has meant to me. Thank you!
        Sounds like a movie!

I'm glad we can fill a void. Thanks for sharing.

~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi loopey,

It's good to hear from you and I also appreciate you and your posts. Love your vivid description of the old section of Rome. I can only imagine. It sounds so romantic!

It's great you have a good neurologist and family that supports you.
          Take care of yourself
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi loopey
            When I was first diagnosed and feeling my progression, I made a bucket list. Seeing Europe was one of them. Rome was so amazing. I felt like I belonged. The expresso,the wine the food , history , ruins I could go on and on. If it hadn’t been for MS I would have never made it. It would have been just something else that I always wanted to do. I am so glad I went. I couldn’t do now the things we did then. For about five years in my bucket list served me well.
            now I haven’t got one. Thanks for telling your story
            It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Working...
            X