bladder issues...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bladder issues...........

Hi. Anybody using a "suprapubic catheter"? I've been coping with bladder incontinence for years. I don't think I'm capable of self-catherization. My urologist mentioned this as an option. thanks.

Hi jerseydave,

Sorry that no one has answered your question yet, but there are a few other threads here you might be interested in reading:

https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...bic%20catheter

Hope this helps and good luck!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hopefully, Seasha's links will help

Bladder issues are fairly common with MS. I seem to have some kind of bladder inflammation from time to time -- maybe IC (interstitial cystitis). But I don't need to cath.
      Last edited by Mamabug; 06-22-2019, 11:16 AM. Reason: Fixed autocorrect
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

The only problem I’ve had is getting bladder spasms.The nurse put a silver tipped catheter to stop problem (it didn’t help) they eventually went away.Good luck

Comment

We gotta get it out somehow. A lot of people have gotten suprapubic catheters and they seem pretty happy with them. It is a major operation, however, and does not mean your life will be carefree.

Self cathing seems really hard at first but it really is not. Once you learn you can shame every nurse in the hospital. I have terrible tremors in my hands and arms and very weak hands but I can still do it. You keep aiming until you hit the place and you will know when you got it.

You have to many sure to get sterile single use catheters. It was a major fight to get approved for them. At first my neurologist handed me six catheters and told me to reuse them. I washed, them, sterilized them, hung them to dry so nothing could touch them but still got constant UTIs.

Comment

Not sure if MSWorld will let me post a site on facebook that I have but it is for WOMEN who have to self catheterize themselves. If you want to join I encourage you to go to it and request membership (I keep it a "closed group" due to the private nature)
            The group is called: Self Catheterization for WOMEN
            Peace to all,
            LM
            RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Your lucky!

Originally posted by jerseydave View Post
              Hi. Anybody using a "suprapubic catheter"? I've been coping with bladder incontinence for years. I don't think I'm capable of self-catherization. My urologist mentioned this as an option. thanks.
              I can’t find a urologist. I wish you well.
              LostInSeattle
              A smart person will always catch on, a wise person knows when to let go.

Comment

Hi LostInSeattle - I noticed in another post that you can't find a urologist in your area. Here is a link for urologist in Virginia Mason https://www.virginiamason.org/body.c...+Adult+Urology

It lists 3 of them with ratings from patients.

There is also a Urology Dept at Swedish. You can do a google search
                Hope you find someone who will help you!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                X