X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNOOPY
    replied
    Originally posted by Crazyguy View Post
    Ive gone through stages of extreme anxiety over this and searched every which way I can. I know probably not healthy.
    Anxiety can cause a whole host of physical symptoms. Please speak to your Dr. about treating your anxiety. Researching MS can be helpful for some and harmful for others, it appears to be harmful for you. Maybe it's time to take a step back and stop obsessing over having MS...for your mental health. It's very possible you don't have MS.

Take care

Leave a comment:

• Crazyguy
    replied
    Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
    The symptoms seen in pediatric MS is very similar to those seen in adults with MS. I have had symptoms of MS since before the age of 18 and I have never had seizures or psychotic disorders.
    I also found this.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/868859

Moderator's Note: This URL is only for logging onto Medscape- -please try again

Leave a comment:

• Crazyguy
    replied
    The symptoms seen in pediatric MS is very similar to those seen in adults with MS. I have had symptoms of MS since before the age of 18

Wow sorry youíve had it since you were a teen. How have you held up with progression?

I did find this link to something about seizures and brain stem symptoms in young children.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16554264/

Ive gone through stages of extreme anxiety over this and searched every which way I can. I know probably not healthy.

Leave a comment:

• SNOOPY
    replied
    I know it sounds crazy but I think Iíve had it since I was a kid.
    Ive had a psychotic disorder since I was 18. Iíve read that early onset MS can cause seizures and normal exams as well as psychotic disorders.
    The symptoms seen in pediatric MS is very similar to those seen in adults with MS. I have had symptoms of MS since before the age of 18 and I have never had seizures or psychotic disorders.

About Pediatric MS:
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...rosis/symptoms

Leave a comment:

• Mamabug
    replied
    Welcome!

My journey was fairly different. I wish the best for you in getting a clear dx.

Leave a comment:

• SNOOPY
    replied
    They have done a cervical spine MRI which also showed nothing but a slipped disc. We havenít imaged my whole spine though. Donít know if that matters.
    A slipped disc is also know as a herniation. I would suggest you see a Orthopedic Spine Dr./Surgeon Herniated discs can cause neurological symptoms but is not related to MS, and should be evaluated by a Orthopedic Spine Dr./Surgeon.

We havenít imaged my whole spine though. Donít know if that matters.
    It matters because you already have one herniated disc and there could be more spine problems. Without x-rays and/or MRIs you have no way of knowing.

Leave a comment:

• KoKo
    replied
    They have done a cervical spine MRI which also showed nothing but a slipped disc. We havenít imaged my whole spine though. Donít know if that matters.

Ive read that lesions can sometimes be invisible on lower strength MRI machines, or maybe certain sequences. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Hi Crazyguy

Here is some info from the NMSS website about MRI:

"The strength of the magnet used in the MRI machine is important to the quality of the images. Magnet strength is measured in Tesla (T).

Most conventional MRI machines are 1.5T or 3T.

Open MRIs are usually less than 1.5T and do not provide the best images for detecting MS activity, although they may be used when someone has difficulty tolerating a closed MRI machine.

MRI machines used for research purposes have much higher magnet strength."

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...-Diagnosis/MRI

Take Care

Leave a comment:

• Crazyguy
    replied

I would suggest the spine MRI before even doing a LP.

Ive read that lesions can sometimes be invisible on lower strength MRI machines, or maybe certain sequences. Does anyone know anything about this?

Leave a comment:

• Crazyguy
    replied
    Originally posted by gargantua View Post
    I'm always correcting my own posts.

I didn't mean you should find another doctor who says you don't have MS. The right doctor would do a lot more be sure you don't, by doing more tests.

Good luck CG!

Dont worry, I didnít take offense to your post. I know not showing lesions means itís a slim chance that I do have MS. The main reason I believe I do have it is that my mom has MS. I know it sounds crazy but I think Iíve had it since I was a kid.

Ive had a psychotic disorder since I was 18. Iíve read that early onset MS can cause seizures and normal exams as well as psychotic disorders. When I was 10 I used to get intense stomach pain that my GP couldnít figure out. In my teens I used to sleep all day and couldnt get out of bed. One time I thought I had pancreatitis cause of these pains and could even keep water down for a week. I guessing this could be from a lesion on my brain stem controlling my stomach. I also remember going camping with friends when I was 16 and they told me my legs shook in my sleep.

I agree that there are more tests they could have done like evoked potentials. This neuro Iím seeing is supposed to be a pretty good one. I just hope he can find something.

Leave a comment:

• SNOOPY
    replied
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my doctors are standing firm on the no MS thing and havenít been able to convince them to give me a LP.
    There is no single test, by it's self, that can give a diagnosis of MS. For this reason MS can be difficult to diagnose. A LP is usually one of the last tests to be given as it is quite invasive and a negative LP does not rule MS out.

As I said in an earlier post the diagnostic criteria relies heavily on MRI evidence and since you don't have lesions the medical thought is you don't have MS, so why do an invasive? (right or wrong). Lesions are a hallmark of this disease, however not all lesions are MS type lesions. Other conditions can cause lesions.

Here is a link to some of those other conditions that mimic MS:
    https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...ns-to-Rule-Out

If you did not have a spine MRI done then I would suggest asking the Neurologist about doing one. MS is a disease of the Central Nervous System(CNS), which includes the brain, optic nerves, and spinal cord. Lesions can and do show up anywhere within the CNS. I would suggest the spine MRI before even doing a LP.

Leave a comment:

• Crazyguy
    replied

Yes, a Lumbar Puncture is still used and if positive can be a substitute for a lesion.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my doctors are standing firm on the no MS thing and havenít been able to convince them to give me a LP.

A friend suggested I try a Paleolithic diet while Iím in limbo. Has anyone had success with this?

Leave a comment:

• gargantua
    replied
    Originally posted by gargantua View Post
    Hi Guy, Sorry you have to go through this. My doctors told me I didn't have MS over and over again, and I was perfectly fine with that diagnosis. But in retrospect it was a mistake to listen to them. Keep trying until you find a doctor who will prove definitively that you do not have it, or otherwise.

I hope you find some support here too. It's a great place.
    I'm always correcting my own posts.

I didn't mean you should find another doctor who says you don't have MS. The right doctor would do a lot more be sure you don't, by doing more tests.

Good luck CG!

Leave a comment:

• gargantua
    replied

Right now Iím getting a second opinion from another neuro but itís pretty slow moving. Itís been a pretty frustrating journey so far. Has anyone been through something similar?
    Hi Guy, Sorry you have to go through this. My doctors told me I didn't have MS over and over again, and I was perfectly fine with that diagnosis. But in retrospect it was a mistake to listen to them. Keep trying until you find a doctor who will prove definitively that you do not have it, or otherwise.

I hope you find some support here too. It's a great place.

Leave a comment:

• SNOOPY
    replied
    Hi Wendy, it's nice to see you posting again

Originally posted by TheBeans View Post
    Do they no longer use spinal taps to see if there is damage to the nerves in the spinal column?
    Yes, a Lumbar Puncture is still used and if positive can be a substitute for a lesion.
    https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Na...sdiagnosis.pdf

Leave a comment:

• TheBeans
    replied
    Do they no longer use spinal taps to see if there is damage to the nerves in the spinal column?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X