Worried Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried Mom

Hi, I'm new here. My 29 year old son is waiting on a call for an MRI. I am beginning to wonder if they forgot about him because he hasn't heard from them in more than 2 weeks now. I feel so terrible and mainly feel a lot of guilt feelings.

He started having issues at least 10 years ago. It started with some bladder issue and the doctor checked him and gave him meds and released him. Down the road my son complained about his eyes but the doctor didn't seem to think it was a big deal. Said he had astigmatism. Later his ears were ringing but he thought it was due to being around loud noises. They did a CT scan and it was ok. At one point I went in with him to his then primary doctor and asked could he have MS. When I told him he had had a CT scan a few years earlier he seemed to write MS off as it should've shown something on the scan he said.

My son would complain of things like dry eyes. One time he had some vertigo and numbness in his face and went to the doctor and the doctor said he thought he had some sinus issues and gave him some meds. He would complain about pain in his shoulder and went to physical therapy. But doctors would always hand him a prescription for his complaint and on he would go about his way.

He had to go to the ER a year ago with palpitations and being light headed but they thought it was because of not weaning himself off a particular medication. Anyway, the last 2 years he says that he had some pains and problems with inflammation but got tired of doctors never helping him. I guess I can understand that. Even this latest primary doctor seemed so oblivious to his complaints about having neck pain. My son said he was treating whatever ailed him with meds and over the counter stuff since doctors never seemed to help or they'd look at him like he didn't know what he was talking about.

I know I can't change what I can't change, but sometimes I wondered if it was MS. I sort of stuck my head in the sand and I guess I was in denial a lot of the time. For at least 5 years before this last year he was going to college and he was so busy and seemed ok. We thought he was fine. Now I'm worried that I should've done more. I feel like a failure. Why didn't I have him checked out for this? Why didn't he complain more the last few years? He is so private about stuff.

I worry that I've hurt him by not doing more or making more of a fuss over this. I'm scared and so troubled so much of the time. I don't say much but inside I'm down. Then we have no insurance and he isn't working. I wonder if I get him some insurance, can we even afford meds should he get a diagnosis. I don't know how that works, but I hear of some people with insurance that have a huge co-pay. Feels like there are so many things to worry about Like is hard enough without dealing with this sort of thing..It worries me how he'll take it if he has MS. I worry that he never wants to leave the house for months now. I try not to freak out. It used to seem like life was so normal and fine and now most days I just feel such doom and gloom like my whole world is over.

I just hope there is some medication to help him when he is diagnosed. I can't help but think the worst at times. My mental state is not that great right now but frankly I don't feel like I have the motivation to seek any help for myself right now. Half the time I don't even care to eat. I might grab an apple just because I know I have to eat something. I have been reading the Wahl's Protocol and for the past 6 weeks or more I've been working hard to cook the right foods for him. I'm just hoping by some miracle we can get through this and there is something that can help him. I guess I'm just talking out loud here. But I imagine many will understand.

Hi katrina111 and welcome to MSWorld.

Has your son seen a Neurologist? How was his Neurological exam?

my son complained about his eyes but the doctor didn't seem to think it was a big deal. Said he had astigmatism.
    Did he see an Ophthalmologist? Astigmatism can be helped with corrective lenses. MS doesn't cause dry eyes. Dry eyes can be caused by looking at a monitor/computer, TV, Phones, etc. for too long. Being tired can cause dry eyes. MS does not cause Astigmatism.

I am a little confused why you believe your son has MS. Your son has seen Drs. and has been given explanations for his complaints, but you think it's MS?. A CT Scan is not part of the diagnostic criteria for MS. Was it a Neurologist that has ordered the MRI?

As for the guilt and worry you are experiencing; sometimes I think this is just part of being a parent regardless of a child's age. You do need to be kind to yourself and understand at 29 years old he needs to take responsibility for his life. Be there if he needs you, but let him stand on his own. Our responsibility is to raise our children to become independent adults.

Take care
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

A few years ago one doctor mentioned that ms masked itself in a certain way referring to one symptom my son had. But he didn't seem to act like he thought it was that. But from that time on it seemed if he sneezed, I was thinking it could be that. That's why I guess I mentioned different things that he experienced such as ear or eye issues. He has seen a neurologist and has been set up for an MRI. As far as the CT scan not being the criteria~you'd think his primary doctor would've known that.

Sure we try to raise our kids to be responsible adults. He has been one and attended college away from home and got a degree. But he's also a young 29. But I don't see what age has to do with anything or saying he needs to take responsibility for his life~not sure where you're coming from on that one. Doesn't matter how old they are..they are always our baby.

Comment

Originally posted by katrina111 View Post
        A few years ago one doctor mentioned that ms masked itself in a certain way referring to one symptom my son had. But he didn't seem to act like he thought it was that.
        Multiple Sclerosis is a disease of the Central Nervous System(CNS) which includes the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves. There is no symptom exclusive to this disease. Many conditions, medication side effects, vitamin/mineral deficiencies, and mental health problems can cause symptoms similar to MS. Part of the diagnostic criteria (The Revised McDonald Criteria) requires all other possible causes for symptoms must be ruled out.

Best wishes with his MRI and hopefully your son does not have MS.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you, Snoopy. I do hope it all goes well

Comment

Working...
          X