Telemed Visits and Disability Claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telemed Visits and Disability Claims

Following Covid, telemedicine visits have become common in the MS community. Although these visits are more convenient than in person visits, there are some risks to be aware of. First, the examinations performed via telemedicine are necessarily more limited than they are in person. Many of the typical tests for strength and function are simply unable to be performed via video. Second, many providers are less diligent in documenting their findings after a telemedicine visit.

This can be harmful in a disability claim, wherein the regular testing notes are paramount to the claim. Regardless of the availability of telemedicine appointments, it is wise for a patient to periodically see their provider in person. Additionally, the patient should discuss what testing can be performed via video, to ensure that their symptoms are being accurately represented during these visits. This can be helpful both for the claim, and for ongoing treatment.
    Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Thank you MSLawyer for pointing out these issues with telemed appointments.

I personally prefer in office, as a true clinical exam is not possible via telemed. I want to hear what my Neuro sees. That being said, when COVID spread and disease severity were both high, I was grateful for the telemed option. But as you point out, there were big limitations to the appointment.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X