A new leaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new leaf

I read something interesting in the news. I hope moderators will allow me to pass it on because it could help a lot of SSDI applicants.

Apparently, the head of the Social Security Administration had been blocking new SSDI awards and forcing established disabled people to go through grueling proof that they are disabled. I know what that is like getting an anxiety attack every time a letter came from Social Security.

He has been fired so I suspect there will be less frustration for those of us who need the award.

If you have been beating your head against the wall trying to get your SSDI help is on the way. This is this best time in awhile to apply for SSDI. If you are in the middle of a review you might be able to get them to cancel the review. This is a good time to have a lawyer in your corner.

I wish everyone who is seeking a chance to give up work the best of luck. It’s never easy but this little piece of news today is encouraging.

The prior Commissioner made numerous changes to the SSA system, including dramatically increasing the number of reviews for those already on disability, as well as creating a system in which decisions by Judges approving disability were reviewed. For the first time in my career, earlier this year I had an approval by a judge erased a month later and the file sent back to that judge for 'quality review.' (The former Commissioner also pushed to reduce the wait time for a decision, but did so by reducing the approval rate). Considering that, before his appointment, the prior Commissioner was part of a think tank that alleged the entire Social Security system inappropriately transferred wealth from the poor to the rich (which is untrue - it does the opposite), it is safe to say that he was not a friend of the disabled.

The LA Times reported on the prior Commissioner's history in January 2021. https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...administration.

It will take some time to undue the damage that the prior Commissioner has wrought upon the system. Things are looking up, however.

The prior Commissioner has indicated he will be fighting his termination, which -- amazingly -- could be good news for individuals who have current appeals of judge's decisions. For technical reasons, the prior Commissioner's refusal to leave his post will likely force President Biden to defend his right to fire the prior Commissioner, which may result in new hearings before new judges for everyone who is currently either at the Appeals Council or in federal court. It's something that people in my area of law have been watching for several months. Obviously, I will keep the board posted.

It's yet one more reason to appeal a judge's denial -- or at least have a conversation with an attorney -- if you believe you are disabled.

Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Thank you Jamie for sharing your insight. Look forward to future updates as more is known.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by TheMSLawyer View Post
        The prior Commissioner made numerous changes to the SSA system, including dramatically increasing the number of reviews for those already on disability, as well as creating a system in which decisions by Judges approving disability were reviewed. For the first time in my career, earlier this year I had an approval by a judge erased a month later and the file sent back to that judge for 'quality review.' (The former Commissioner also pushed to reduce the wait time for a decision, but did so by reducing the approval rate). Considering that, before his appointment, the prior Commissioner was part of a think tank that alleged the entire Social Security system inappropriately transferred wealth from the poor to the rich (which is untrue - it does the opposite), it is safe to say that he was not a friend of the disabled.

The LA Times reported on the prior Commissioner's history in January 2021. https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...administration.

It will take some time to undue the damage that the prior Commissioner has wrought upon the system. Things are looking up, however.

The prior Commissioner has indicated he will be fighting his termination, which -- amazingly -- could be good news for individuals who have current appeals of judge's decisions. For technical reasons, the prior Commissioner's refusal to leave his post will likely force President Biden to defend his right to fire the prior Commissioner, which may result in new hearings before new judges for everyone who is currently either at the Appeals Council or in federal court. It's something that people in my area of law have been watching for several months. Obviously, I will keep the board posted.

It's yet one more reason to appeal a judge's denial -- or at least have a conversation with an attorney -- if you believe you are disabled.
        It’s good to hear the details. The information I had was only the tip of the iceberg.

I wish everyone who is seeking SSDI success. It is such a grueling process. The good news is that once you get the award they will leave you alone for awhile.

Comment

Working...
        X