Disability question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability question

I am hoping someone on disability can answer this question. Are disability payments taxable? I called social security they told me to call IRS. Lol they are closed due to the Federal shutdown
    Thanks all
    Laurie

The IRS website is still operating. You can enter search terms and get IRS publications online.

Comment

If you have other income, for instance earned income that exceeds the SSDI max amount, you may owe taxes.

If you have other income, for instance if you take a distribution from a retirement account that was not taxable income when the contribution was made, it may become taxable when withdrawn.

SSDI benefits are not taxable, but 'other income' such as earned income or retirement income while receiving SSDI benefits, may result in owing federal and/or state taxes.

Comment

Thanks. We are trying to find out if it counts towards our combined income to see if it is worth it for us to get insurance under Obama care until I get Medicare or to keep the expensive insurance we have now
        Laurie

Comment

SSD is taxable

My husband is disabled for many years now, and yes his Social Security Disability is taxable. When he signed up we asked on the form to have taxes taken out rather than paying in each year. Hope that helps.

Comment

Hello laurasari and everyone. Here is a link to SSA's website concerning the taxability of Social Security benefits - http://www.ssa.gov/planners/taxes.htm. Please talk to your accountant or tax preparer concerning your financial situation and what might be the best move. Yes, things are getting more complicated.

Best of luck regarding this.

Rich
            Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
            X