Thinking about going out on disability, but I'm scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about going out on disability, but I'm scared

There's no question I have MS, and I have lots of documentation. So I think I would be approved, eventually.

I guess that's where the fear comes in. I've read that it can take up to 2 years after being approved to be covered by Medicare. So the idea of going 2 years without insurance is very scary. As we all know, the drugs and tests aren't cheap.

I have some money saved up to try and get by until (hopefully) my disability was approved. What the heck does everyone do about insurance? I don't have enough money saved up for living expenses and health insurance.

Anyway, even though I feel I need to go out on disability I keep postponing it because I don't know how I'll survive during the application/approval process.

The prospect of disability is scary

I'm facing it myself. I do have a couple of suggestions that you should check out with your Human Resource Dept. where you work.

FMLA. This is an acronym for Family Medical Leave Act. It is required for employers of a certain number of people (I forget how many). I just filed for this myself. It protects your job for up to at least 12 weeks.

Now, you don't have to use that all at once. You can use it in increments depending on how you're certified for it. Intermittently as prescribed by the doctor, such as reduced hours or days in a week, or as needed depending on your situation.

You may find you can continue to work so long as you can take off when needed to rest.

STD: Short Term Disability. Many employers offer STD for a specified number of weeks or months (my employer is 3 months for some classes of employees, 60 days for others, etc.) That means they will pay you 100$ or a specified percentage of your pay while you are disabled.

LTD: Long Term Disability. Some employers provide it, some make it voluntary and you are required a portion of cost of the premium. In my case, it's always been just a few dollars a pay period. I've always paid for it, just in case. If you did not elect this benefit, you might check to see if you can elect it and when.

You are right, though, that you won't qualify for Medicare until you have been disabled for two years. Mostly this is because most employers offer COBRA insurance, or allow you to self-pay for your insurance.

Comment

See if you qualify for Medicaid to tide you over until Medicare eligible.

Best wishes, it sure is a stressful process. Just what we DON"t need!
      ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Comment

I applied for SSDI in Oct and was approved first time. Make sure that you stay on top of your doctor's office. I was lucky in that--my doctors filled everything out quickly, and I believe that was the key.
        Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Just apply and get it over with, all cases are different.... Ive seen some people approved within the first month of applying and others like myself still waiting for a decision 1 1/2 years after applying. If you are very serious and nervous it might help to hire a lawyer. I have my husbands income and insurance to help me out until I'm approved so its different for me. Good luck and hopefully you decide to jump in and just get it over with. You will feel better once you do it.

Comment

The government must be sensitive on the health care system of this country. People are paying huge taxes, for what??!

Long term care has its biggest toll among millions of Americans. the government should do something about Medicaid and Medicare

Comment

Thanks everyone. I made an appt to consult with an attorney and we met last week. I was overcome with emotion. I've talked with family about the possibility of going out on disability some day; but to admit to a stranger that I am disabled brought me to tears.

I received a lot of good advice and was told that I meet the criteria to qualify as disabled. She told me I had pushed myself to continue working for the past 5 years and I deserved to go out on disability and focus on my health.

I have some bills to pay off, I hope to put some money in the bank and plan to start the process in January or February.

I can't tell you what a huge relief it is to finally admit my disability and to tell myself it's okay to do this.

Comment

I applied the 2nd week of April, 2012, I had to go for one eval for my depression for them. I got the award letter 2 weeks ago. My 1st payment will be recieved in Oct for sept. I was amazed it was so fast and easy. Did it online and by myself.

Best of luck to you. Having full records is the best things I did I think. Had Dx's, visit dates, Dr's seen and reasons, Occupational therapy eval and neuro/physc evals for the past 5 years, so it must have been what they needed.

Comment

Hi, Miranda and everyone. You may wish to see if your state has an insurance program such as Illinois' ICHIP (Illinois Comprehensive Insurance Program) which may be able to provide benefits. Also, some claimants may qualify for Medicaid health insurance benefits during the 2 year Medicare waiting period (which can cause an unbelievable hardship for persons actually determined disabled by Social Security). Of course, one's spouse's insurance program - if available - may also provide a benefit.

These are just some suggestions.

Rich
                  Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
                  X