Medicare and medicaid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare and medicaid

Hello, I'm hoping someone can give me some clarification on Medicare and Medicaid. I was just recently approved for SSDI after a long two year wait but didn't qualify for SSI at all. I now have Medicare as a secondary insurance to my husbands insurance through his work.
    However, I have been getting insurance cards and stuff from Medi-Cal (California's Medicaid) and when I finally called about it they said I also had coverage through them. My confusion is that while I receive SSDI I didn't qualify for SSI so why do I qualify for Medicaid? I no longer live in California but have recently received a letter from SSDI stating that I don't have to pay the Medicare premium because it's being paid for by the state of California.
    When I called disability they told me all I had to do was call OKLAHOMAs Medicaid office to transfer the coverage but when I called them they said I basically had to reapply.

Please help. I am completely lost with this stuff and not sure what to do.

Thank you,
    Moriah

Hi, Moriah. It sounds like a bit of an involved situation and I am sorry that I cannot help. The National MS Society does provide some good resources on its website. Also, you may wish to contact Medicare.gov for some assistance in this regard. You may wish to make an in-person appointment with the Oklahoma Medicaid office to meet face-to-face with a representative in the hopes of receiving a more understandable explanation.

Best of luck,

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X