Does anyone have osteoporosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have osteoporosis?

I just got results from my recent bone density scan to find out I now have osteoporosis.
    It's not surprising as I am over 70, my mom had it and I have a small frame and with MS weakness I can't do any weight bearing exercises. But I eat healthy, calcium enriched foods and take supplements.

Dr wants me to start taking Fosamax, which I'm not thrilled about. Does anyone else take this med for osteoporosis? Side effects?
    Are there better treatments out there?

Thanks for any information!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
    I just got results from my recent bone density scan to find out I now have osteoporosis.
    It's not surprising as I am over 70, my mom had it and I have a small frame and with MS weakness I can't do any weight bearing exercises. But I eat healthy, calcium enriched foods and take supplements.

Dr wants me to start taking Fosamax, which I'm not thrilled about. Does anyone else take this med for osteoporosis? Side effects?
    Are there better treatments out there?

Thanks for any information!

Hi Seasha,

Yes. I was tested, then dx'd with osteoporosis in 2006, I think. At the time I was 56, neither mom (small frame) or dad had it. The technician said something like "...you have the bones of an 80 year old." The physician was more tactful. 2 years later, in '08, I was dx'd with MS.

Doctor recommended exercise first, vitamins & supplements (Calcium etc) too. After MS dx I joined the gym. Using weight to maintain muscle (as best as MS allows) and bone density.

Using weight equipment properly and a little free weight should improve bone density. MHO only. I never got retested to see if I was "improved," MS is my main concern. Feel pretty good, still haven't broken a bone, less drugs, less anxiety, all for the better. Also MHO.

Never heard of a doctor nixing exercise. So at 71 that means I now have the bones of a 85 YO!

Comment

Seasha, I'm bumping this up.

It is hard to believe there isn't anyone in our community with osteoporosis.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
        Seasha, I'm bumping this up.

It is hard to believe there isn't anyone in our community with osteoporosis.
        Hello Seasha, I'm 73, was diagnosed with osteoporosis some years ago (don't recall). I tried Fosamax but found that it gave me insomnia. I ended up taking it now and then. I did fracture my right wrist in 2016, going down some outdoor stairs with things in both arms, then fractured the same wrist in 2019, sitting on a high chair that I wasn't sturdily situated on. I decline to take Fosamax and hope I've learned from these past experiences. I'm not the most compliant of patients, as you can tell. I'm not going to say I won't get any more fractures, as making a claim like that seems like bad luck. Well, that's all from this end. Mandalababe.

Comment

Originally posted by mandalababe View Post

Hello Seasha, I'm 73, was diagnosed with osteoporosis some years ago (don't recall). I tried Fosamax but found that it gave me insomnia. I ended up taking it now and then. I did fracture my right wrist in 2016, going down some outdoor stairs with things in both arms, then fractured the same wrist in 2019, sitting on a high chair that I wasn't sturdily situated on. I decline to take Fosamax and hope I've learned from these past experiences. I'm not the most compliant of patients, as you can tell. I'm not going to say I won't get any more fractures, as making a claim like that seems like bad luck. Well, that's all from this end. Mandalababe.
          Thanks for your feedback, mandalababe and sorry to hear of your 2 wrist fractures.

I don't think I'm going to even try this as I have insomnia already. I read you have to take it with water first thing in the morning before food and have to stand for 30 minutes after taking it. I can't stand for more than 15 min. and have to have my cup of coffee first thing, so it's a no-brainer for me.

Guess both of us are going to be extra cautious!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

No osteoporosis here yet. I'd recommend Dr. Google. I always like to see if there are natural alternatives to pharmaceuticals. If you see a functional medicine doctor, I'd consult him or her for additional suggestions.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I have osteopenia and take a calcium magnesium supplement liquid I love. Also high dose vitamin D. I’m only 56. I was offered Fosamax and decided to do my own thing.

Comment

Also diagnosed with osteopenia, take Calcium and Vitamin D, get my Greek yogurt in daily and some milk. I started doing resistance training again, hoping it helps and work on balancing exercises, so hopefully can minimize risk of falling.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                X