MS AND BREAST CANCER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS AND BREAST CANCER

I've been dx for almost 2yrs now w/ RRMS. Lately, more and more people I've talked to know a woman with MS and eventually gets breast cancer? Is this a common thing in women with MS? I have cystic and dense breast tissue (tmi, sorry). One breast has 3 fairly large cysts. Will they turn cancerous? Who's to know? Should I have a lumpectomy? I get yearly mammograms and ultrasounds. Have appt. coming up in Feb. Just wondering if someone could shed some light on this. I'm not worried, but it's always in the back of my mind.~Lena

Hi Lena B68,

Multiple Sclerosis does not cause Cancer.

more and more people I've talked to know a woman with MS and eventually gets breast cancer? Is this a common thing in women with MS?
    Since the majority diagnosed with MS are women (men are in the minority), and sadly, breast cancer being fairly common it would not be uncommon to run across a woman with MS that has also had breast cancer.

Cysts are usually benign.

I have had 2 cysts removed, one on my breast (external) and on my eyeball.

I get yearly mammograms and ultrasounds.
    Let your Dr. monitor and try to relax
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

There is a possible link between long term beta interferon use (Avonex / Rebif / Betaseron) and breast cancer.

Assessment of cancer risk with β-interferon treatment for multiple sclerosis

CONCLUSIONS:

There was no evidence of an increased cancer risk with exposure to IFNβ over a 12-year observation period. However, the trend towards an association between IFNβ and breast cancer should be investigated further.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24594506

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle View Post
        There is a possible link between long term beta interferon use (Avonex / Rebif / Betaseron) and breast cancer.
        How about tysabri? I'm taking tysabri 3 years and now I got it (I also took copaxone for 17 years). I have no family history of breast cancer.
        Dx 1/86 at age 23
        Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
        Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

If you google "tysabri breast cancer" or "copaxone breast cancer" it won't make you happy.

However, you should also google: alpha lipoic acid breast cancer" and "alpha lipoic acid multiple sclerosis" as well as the antioxidant has shown efficacy with many cancers, including breast, and now is in clinical trials for secondary progressive MS.

Alpha Lipoic Acid as a supplement may be worth considering if you plan on sticking with Tysabri while undergoing cancer treatment.

I take LDN and Alpha Lipoic Acid for my MS and have injected Copaxone and infused Tysabri in the past.

Comment

Working...
          X