Fatigue and sleep study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatigue and sleep study

My neurologist thought I should have a sleep study to make sure my fatigue isn't caused by sleep apnea. I now have to have another sleep study, because my sleepiness isn't from sleep apnea but is referred to as "hypersomnia". With the new study I have to again sleep overnight with the 22 wires measuring EEG, EKG, eye movement, leg movement, etc, and that test will be followed by a daytime test lasting till 3:30 pm where I will have to stay awake for 2 hr intervals and then try to sleep for 20 min. I can read, watch TV etc. during the awake parts of the test and CANNOT fall asleep until the 20 min naps. This 2nd test is used for things like narcolepsy. Seems kinda crazy to me since they know I have MS and that fatigue is a common symptom. Anyone else have experience with this?

My physiatrist asked if I stopped breathing at any point during sleeping since I snore. I have my SO keeping an eye out. Is so, I'll have to do a sleep study.

Her concern is not that sleep issues cause my fatigue, but contribute to making my already existing neurogenic fatigue even worse. So if we can reduce other factors (which also include getting a handle on overactive bladder issues and waking up to pee 2-3 times a night as well as overheating), I can get better sleep and rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Luvmyfamily View Post
      With the new study I have to again sleep overnight with the 22 wires measuring EEG, EKG, eye movement, leg movement, etc,
      Lmf, fo you know the exact name of this test?
      it sounds pretty interesting

Sleep Study this month, myself. Results should be interesting, as well! Please post results, curiousfed

Comment

Definitely keep us posted. I always think MS first but it would be nice if at least some of your fatigue could be accounted for by something else.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

I used to work in a sleep lab so I think you're having an MSLT (multiple sleep latency test). The idea is to see if you really are tired during the day. A "normal" person shouldn't fall asleep during the 20 minute "naps" or be awake for most of the 20 minutes. You're right, the test is used to test for narcolepsy and maybe your neuro is just being cautious. I hope the test goes well! I know I never wanted to sleep with all those wires on!
          Lori
          Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

I had a sleep study and had to go back a second time to spend a night with the CPAP machine so they could determine the pressure to use. But nothing like what you're describing.

My new neuro ordered a Sleep Study, and I had no idea I had an issue with sleep. But I found out I quit breathing a "moderate" amount. My O2 drops and I was spending most of my night in Stage II, and absolutely no time in REM sleep. Not sure what the ramifications of that are (still waiting for my appt. with the Sleep Dr.) In the meantime, the last couple months I've been using the CPAP, and notice no difference in anything
            other than I now have some dreams.
            But my numbers (the number of times I quit breathing) are definitely improved (I only know this because the machine reports the numbers in the "info mode." ) I don't feel any different.

Comment

fatigue and sleep

I just had a sleep clinic visit and they found that I have severe sleep apnea. I stop breathing 36.4 times an hour was told this is very bad and I have to sleep with a mask.
              It can cause heart problems so was pleased that my neurologist sent me to the sleep clinic.

Comment

Working...
              X