Update on Double Vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on Double Vision

To avoid repeating information I provided previously I will post the link to my original thread:
    http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...re-than-a-year

I finally saw the Neuro-Ophthalmologist today. The Official diagnosis is Internuclear Ophthalmoplegia (INO)/Diplopia due to Multiple Sclerosis. The cyst just happened to show up at the same time as the exacerbation. The Cyst definitely complicated everything

The Neuro-Ophthalmologist was quite surprised my original Ophthalmologist said prisms would cause more problems and the other Ophthalmologist said cutting the muscle affected might help. His recommendation: Try prisms if I so choose or since the double vision is only when looking to the far right, just close my left eye at those times I am looking to the far right.

The temple pain and headaches I am getting are due to the left eye and would be much like eye strain due to Internuclear Ophthalmoplegia (INO)/Diplopia.

I am so glad I finally received a referral to the Neuro-Ophthalmologist, he gave me direct answers to the cause of the double vision. I left his office feeling quite relaxed.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

It's a good thing you finally got to see a neuro-ophthalmologist to get a proper diagnosis. It's discouraging that a general ophthalmologist -- of all people and of all professions -- wasn't able to diagnose a simple case of INO.

I'm a bit surprised about the neuro-ophthalmologist's surprise at the idea that prism might cause more problems. Standard prism -- throughout a lens -- might cause more problems. The amount of prism it would take to get the affected eye to see the same image as the mobile eye in its farthest-sideways position IS likely to be too much for the affected eye when both eyes while looking in the other direction. Prism can move an image, but it can't make a non-mobile eye move with a mobile eye and keep both eyes seeing a unified image through all fields of gaze.

There are some techniques that can be used to try to get prism to help with an eye that's movement-impaired, so you can certainly try prism. But it might be worthwhile for you to work with a professional who has experience with prism -- like an optometrist -- and not your neuro-ophthalmologist, whose ideas about prism might or might not be realistic. Best of luck if you decide to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post

But it might be worthwhile for you to work with a professional who has experience with prism -- like an optometrist .
      Hey Snoopy,

Glad they "figured" out the problem. What jreagan suggested would be a good idea, IMO.

I had double vision, complained about it to my Ophthalmologist for several
      years. She would note it, but not try to correct it. But a few years ago I decided to
      skip the ophthalmologist and see our local optometrist, who grinds his own lenses, and makes
      the glasses he prescribes.

He was very familiar with MS, and I mentioned the double vision. He did a few tests
      and told me he thought we could "fix" it, at least improve it. Prisms worked like a charm.
      They are excellent for near and mid range sight. Things at a distance still look double to
      me (I see 2 Stop signs at a distance when I'm driving, but that's not a bad thing .)

Every time I start to experience an increase in double vision, I get an exam and have him
      make a new pair of glasses, so I totally agree with jreagan's suggestion.

The only negative as far as prisms...I can't always use the frames I choose, because
      some lenses don't support prisms.

Comment

Thank you jreagan70 and rdmc for your comments and suggestions, I really appreciate it.

The neuro-ophthalmologist went and got his prism chart(?) which he put up to my eye and I was very surprised that my vision, in general, became clear (vs. hazy or foggy). He did say that is possible with prisms. As an experiment, although not too sure how accurate, I will be trying the stick on prisms.

rdmc:
        The only negative as far as prisms...I can't always use the frames I choose, because
        some lenses don't support prisms.
        Well poop! A few months ago I did get new frames and lenses. If I get prisms I am going to keep my fingers crossed that they can be used. I will take the advice you both provided about using an Optometrist for prisms.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
        X