Pain in the depth of the eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pain in the depth of the eye?

Sorry to bother anyone, I'm still undiagnosed and trying to figure out things. For the last two days I've had this pain in my eye, feels like a pin inside the eye or something like that. Like a muscle spasm. I just woke up with that pain, and at first thought it was a scratch, but it hurts even if I don't blink or move the eye, and there's no redness, no soreness, no tears. Did anyone have something similar?

The eye doctor offered me an appointment in August. I so regret not asking "In August 2018?"

I have pain in my eye on a regular basis. I have had iritis which is a form of uveitis, but the iris of the eye, not the back which is ON, at least thats what they tell me.

I have been treated with steroid drops and the searing pain is gone. I am left with an aching pain and what feels like muscle spasms in the back of my eye. After having ice pick pain, any pain is scary, especially when you are not sure what is acceptable and whats urgent.

I also have been diagnosed with TN and trying to sort out if my eye pain is part of that, or migraines or what. (sigh) I have an appointment with my neurologist in a couple of days. I will be asking a lot of questions to try an sort this out.

If you continue to have pain, insist on an emergency appointment. Most doctors have urgent appointments built in to their day.

Comment

I had pain in my eye, just prior to optic neuritis. It hurt when I touched eyeball with lid closed, and pain with movement of the eye. About a week later I woke up and could not see out of it.

Comment

Well, I can still see with that eye, but I also had an occurrence of some sort, a couple of weeks later. The eyey felt strange, as if it was filled up with hot water. It only lasted for a minute, but it was very strange, like a hot faucet switched on and then off. Weird.

Comment

"eye socket pain"

When I had optic neuritis, it felt like "eye socket pain" when i looked to the right or upward.
          There was a slight dull ache if not moving the eye.

To me, it was sort of deep in the eye...I remember describing it to my family, friends, and doctors initially as "eye socket pain, as I have/had really never experienced anything like it.
          RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
          (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
          Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

Hmmm... I had eye socket pain quite often lately, but I assumed that is was a light migraine. I usually have migraines on that eye's side, in the temple and forehead area, I just thought my migraine started changing location. Wow, never thought of it that way... food for thought. thank you!!!

Comment

Hi Cookie_Crumbles,

Have you been able to get I into an Ophthalmologist yet? Or are you still waiting until August? Without a proper eye exam it is difficult to know what, if anything, is wrong with your eye.

The eyey felt strange, as if it was filled up with hot water.
              That would be an odd sensation

Hope your Dr can offer you some advice or suggestions.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

When I was at the stage of "almost diagnosed", my eye started hurting. It was throbbing so much I went to ER. The ER doctor said, "it's probably just allergies or some irritation."

I told him I had just gotten an MRI back with 3 brain lesions consistent with MS. He said, "well the eye doesn't have anything to do with it".

I said, "call my neurologist". He said, "naw". I said, "call my neurologist". He finally said ok. He put in a call and 10 minutes later the nurses came in, started an IV Solumedrol and admitted me to the hospital

The next day they did an MRI of the orbits. My neuro came in all excited. "You have optic neuritis. There is inflammation in the orbits." That clinched my MS dx and I stayed in the hospital 5 days.

I know most people are not so lucky when they are seeking a dx. But it might be worth a try to go to ER when you know your neuro is on call. When they say, "go to the eye doctor". It's like saying 'go jump in a lake' The MRI of the orbits is the key.

Another test you can do yourself is find something red. Cover one eye and look at it, then the other eye. If the colors look different you probably have ON.

Comment

I believe with optic neuritis, the pain 'often' will increase with eye movement. (in my case if i looked directly upward or to the right) i felt a stabbing pain.
                  RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
                  (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
                  Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

Thank you all for the replies!!!

I'm waiting for the appointment. In the meanwhile, nothing new.

I actually went to the hospital, but they didn't have an eye doctor on call there. (Yeah I live in a tiny town.) They told me to go to a bigger city ER or to a uni clinic, well, I couldn't make the drive there. The eye hurting, night coming, a few hours of driving... forgetaboutit).

The color red, however... I noticed when I was a kid that my eyes always saw colors a bit differently, kind of like on a different "white balance" setting of a photo camera. One eye sees colors in colder light, the other in warmer hues (white pillowcase can be a warm pinkish white or a grey-blueish white, if I look with one eye closed.) So I don't know - should the reds be much different, or just a bit?

Comment

Hi Cookie:

It seems so odd to me here in the US that in Austria you can't get an appointment with an ophthalmologist within about 2 weeks. Does the ophthalmology office have a cancellation list you can get on so you can maybe get an appointment sooner?

Originally posted by Cookie_Crumbles View Post
                      I noticed when I was a kid that my eyes always saw colors a bit differently, kind of like on a different "white balance" setting of a photo camera. One eye sees colors in colder light, the other in warmer hues (white pillowcase can be a warm pinkish white or a grey-blueish white, if I look with one eye closed.)
                      If you've been noticing that since you were a kid, there's a good chance that that's just the way your eyes are. Our bodies aren't perfectly symmetric, so it's possible that one eye might see colors a little bit differently than the other.

Scientists have found that men and women see some colors differently, so it would make sense that one eye can see colors a little differently than the other. And if you search online, there are many forum posts by people who see things a little differently with each eye.

So I don't know - should the reds be much different, or just a bit?
                      I have had optic neuritis many times, and this is what my ophthalmologist told me.

ON usually (but not always) affects how a person sees red. When it does, the difference in the depth of red between the two eyes is really noticeable to the person, it isn't just by a little bit.

In comparing color perception, the doctor will have the person look at something red, and a question the doctor will often ask is, "If this thing looked at with this eye [meaning the normal or better eye] is a dollar's worth of red, how much red is it with the other eye [meaning the eye in question]? Or, "If this eye sees 100 out of 100 on a scale of red, how much red does the other eye see?"

My doctor said that if a person says that the eye in question is 90 cents' worth or red or more compared to a dollar, that's within the normal range of difference between two eyes and doesn't mean anything.

But if the person says that the worse eye is only about 75 cents' worth of red of less, then that's typical of ON and helps the doctor in making a diagnosis.

ON usually also causes some kind of vision loss along with a change in the color red, and usually within a couple of days of the starting of the eye pain. But you've had your eye pain for a long time now and you haven't said anything about a loss of vision. That will need to get checked out.

And there are other things that can cause eye pain.

So for you there's really no way to know what's going on until you get examined by the eye doctor. I hope you can get in sooner than your scheduled appointment.

Comment

JReagan was spot on with the color issues.

The loss of red is a pretty sure sign of Optic Neuritis.

If you experiencing color loss, it can be pretty extreme. For example, I was in a hurry to get to the Opthalmologist last time. I just reached in my closet and pulled out what I thought was a white T-shirt...it was actually a PINK tee...and not light pinknat that.

In the past, I have looked at bushes and could not see the red flowers on them.

A dull throbbing pain or a sharp pain can indicate ON and your eye can be stationary or moving.

The biggest thing for me when I get ON is loss of vision. That is an ER visit if my Opthalmologist's Office is not open.

If you have not had loss of vision...it could indeed be migranes. Either way, it does need to be checked out. I would call your doctor back and let them know you are being evaluated for MS and that you really need to see the Opthalmologist sooner than August.

Good Luck.
                        Katie
                        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                        "My MS is a Journey for One."
                        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi eye pain

Sorry to bother anyone, I'm still undiagnosed and trying youto figure out things. For the last two days I've had this pain in my eye, feels like a pin inside the eye or something like that. Like a muscle spasm. I just woke up with that pain, and at first thought it was a scratch, but it hurts even if I don't blink or move the eye, and there's no redness, no soreness, no tears. Did anyone have something similar?

The eye doctor offered me an appointment in August. I so regret not asking "In August 2018?"

You should go see your Niro ASAP because I had that same thing 2 years ago and it turned out to be optic neuritis. Feeling like there was sand or something in the eye then pain when I looked left to right. Then I woke up one day and my color vision was gone then went to hospital and they gave me steroids and then I went blind it took a year for it to return.

Comment

Working...
                          X