Getting Iv steroids for on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Iv steroids for on

I'm experiencing eye pain and blurred vision in one eye so my dr is having me do the home infusion of Iv steroids for 3 days. I've had Iv steroids a few years ago but not since. I hate having to medicate besides my usual avonex. Any tips advice on taking steroids? Some say you get insomnia some say you gain weight which I think must just be water weight and some say you crash afterwards. Thanks so much. Having distorted vision and eye pain Is scary

Just like MS, everyone is different. You may have insomnia, you may get the munchies. I had a neuro tell me one time, watch eating too many carbs during t his time.

Sometimes when you are getting the infusion, you may notice a metal taste in your mouth. Some lifesavers may help there.

Hope this helps a little. I've had IVSM for ON too. Good luck and may it work!

Comment

I get the IV every 4 weeks, just one days worth. I swear by it. They took me off it because it was messing with my blood sugar, but by week 6 I was real bad and falling down steady. I went right back on it. I think without it I'd be in a wheelchair within a few months time.

Comment

Hi Wookieland -

I think the experience is a bit different for everyone. For me, I was so fatigued that I welcomed the extra alertness, and I didn't have any insomnia problems. The only real side effects I noticed were flushing in my face & chest, and a weird metallic taste in my mouth.

For me the treatment was well worth those minor side effects; by the end of the 2nd dose my dizziness was noticeably improved, and within about a week of treatment my double vision was more or less back to normal.

The energy/alertness did wear off but for me it was gradual; it didn't seem to be a "crash" (I only had 3 days). I also lost weight instead of gaining; but at the same time I have switched to a healthier diet overall so that is likely why.

I hope the treatment goes (has gone?) really well for you!
        Sx since 2007; Dx Oct. 2014. Started Copaxone after Dx...praying that it's working!

Comment

Originally posted by wookieland View Post
          I'm experiencing eye pain and blurred vision in one eye so my dr is having me do the home infusion of Iv steroids for 3 days. I've had Iv steroids a few years ago but not since. I hate having to medicate besides my usual avonex. Any tips advice on taking steroids? Some say you get insomnia some say you gain weight which I think must just be water weight and some say you crash afterwards. Thanks so much. Having distorted vision and eye pain Is scary
          I'm sorry but I don't know. I just wanted to let you know your not alone and someone out here cares for you

Lol, I am a bucket of emotions these days. Might be a gift from God as I've usually been the non-touchy feely kind. Now I'm reaching out like a maniac. Just so dog-on lonely. Seems like everyone disappeared (although probably just me feeling sorry for myself)

Comment

Working...
          X