First Double Vision, Now Nystagmus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Double Vision, Now Nystagmus?

I have been having transient double vision for a couple of years now. I had a head MRI which was fine and my neuro has been running tests for myasthenia gravis. The last couple of weeks I've had 2 episodes of nystagmus. This was very odd and a bit scary since it's never happened to me before. I see a neuro ophthalmologist in Feb. Have any of you experienced this? Does it sound like MS?

When I had nystagmus, it wasn't something that came and went in episodes. It was there anytime I looked to the left. I had double vision at the same time. Not a coincidence; they're related. You can look up internuclear ophthalmoplegia to see how the nerve that controls eye movement causes both.

Also, I couldn't tell I had nystagmus. It was something only my health care workers saw.

Comment

I have to agree with Mable. I have nystagmus all the time but don't know it. It can be seen if the person knows how to test. (Like for a DUI!)

I also had an original bout of double vision.

Other diseases mimic MS. People spend years getting a diagnosis.

J
      Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I call it nystagmus but I'm not really sure what it is. The first time I had it I was alone. The next time I asked my husband to look at my eyes and he said it looked like they were going back and forth to one side kind of fast so I just figured it might be nystagmus. I'm going to record it on my phone the next time it happens. Visually, I couldn't control the movement. Anytime I tried to look straight ahead, my vision would drift fairly quickly off to the right, over and over again. Does that make sense?

Comment

I have double vision caused by nystagmus. For 2-3 minutes when I first wake up, every day since my dx in Oct. 2011, I have double vision. The muscles controlling my eye movement are getting MS corrupted messages and don't know where to look. So I see double as they bounce around. Once I'm fully awake the double vision goes away.

Kyle
          At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by catsom View Post
            I have been having transient double vision for a couple of years now. I had a head MRI which was fine and my neuro has been running tests for myasthenia gravis. The last couple of weeks I've had 2 episodes of nystagmus. This was very odd and a bit scary since it's never happened to me before. I see a neuro ophthalmologist in Feb. Have any of you experienced this? Does it sound like MS?
            Yes, it does. I have both constant double vision requiring prisms in my glasses and both vertical and horizontal nystagmus. I was diagnosed in 2011 and am taking Avonex injections once weekly. Course it doesn't help the eyes but the glasses will. So ask about prisms at your neuro Opthamologist. Appt. Good luck!

Comment

I developed double vision, aka diplopia, when I was 19 or 20. I have worn prism glasses ever since. Finding a eye doc to deal with it these days is not always easy.

The prism glasses work great for me. I do seem to need updates every few years. I think it relates to a flair. I can go for years w/o a change, then suddenly need a big change in prisms.

MY diplopia started out as just horizontal double vision, but a few years later I developed vertical in addition to the then existing horizontal.

Gomer

Comment

INO

Internuclear ophthalmoplegia or INO is double vision with nystagmus.

That's been my only symptom. My MRI came back clear, but my lumbar puncture showed signs of demyelinization.

Like Mable, the double vision was there when I looked to the left. However, I COULD tell that I had the nystagmus...it made walking and focusing on things fairly difficult. Especially walking through the store aisles, it was pretty disorienting!

Thankfully both the double vision and the nystagmus were resolved within a few weeks/months and now I'm back to "normal."

Comment

The issue here is that Myasthenia Gravis can mimic true intranuclear ophthalmoplegia exactly. The double vision may be a little different, or exactly the same. This is why the MRI counts so much. If the MRI is normal, MG is more suspect.

Good luck with everything.

Let us know how it goes.

Lisa
                  Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                  SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                  Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                  X