Ampyra Works Long-Term for MS Patients With Gait Disturbance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra Works Long-Term for MS Patients With Gait Disturbance

Long-term treatment with prolonged-release fampridine (Ampyra) offered persistent clinical and subjective benefits in walking function in gait-impaired patients with multiple sclerosis (MS), researchers reported.
    In an extension study of the FAMPKIN trial, MS patients had an 11.5% improvement in walking speed, a 10.7% improvement in endurance, and a 6.1-point improvement in self-perceived ambulatory function over baseline during the first open-label year of treatment, according to Linard Filli, PhD, of University Hospital Zurich, and colleagues.
    Those effects remained stable during a follow-up year of double-blind controlled treatment, with improvements in those respective endpoints of 13.1%, 12%, and 7.4 points compared with placebo, they reported online in Neurology.
    Overall, patients had significant improvement in the Timed 25-Foot Walk (T25FW) (P=0.0274), the 6-Minute Walk Test (6MWT) (P=0.0002), and the 12-item MS Walking Scale (MSWS-12) (P=0.0483) over those two years, they added.
    In an email, Filli noted that one of the most interesting findings of the study was the fact that a third of those who initially had poor improvement with the drug had a much different response after two additional years on the medication.

The rest of the article is here: http://www.medpagetoday.com/mastery-...ry-in-ms/63046

Thank you, Marco! This is just the information I logged in for. I'm surprised I'm the first responder.

(I always find your posts very informative and helpful!)

Comment

Thanks for posting this information Marco. I have been taking the compounded version of Ampyra (4-Aminopyridine) for some four years. I really think it has been very helpful for me. My walking has deteriorated but not too badly. The neurologist tells me we can just deal with the symptoms so I am probably SPMS. I walk with two walking poles and not long distances, however I think the 4-Aminopyridine has kept me upright and functioning with no side effects. Glad to see there is now research to support this.

Comment

I wonder if anyone found that Ampyra helps spasticity?

Comment

Working...
        X