Announcement

Collapse

WELCOME TO OUR NEW HOME!

Hello MSWorld Members,

Welcome to our new home! We hope you love it as much as we do!

we promise.

to offer current and relevant information.

to grow a community built on positive and affirming support.

to showcase member creativity.

to provide safe chat rooms.

to provide well moderated forums.

we believe that what we give as a community comes back to us.

welcome to MSWorld on this journey through a different lens. together. we are msworld.
we are. community.

We appreciate your understanding as we finalize our new home. Our arcade is still currently under construction and won’t be available for a while. Thank you for your patience while we prepare a new and improved arcade for you.

enjoy our new home.

support reimagined.
See more
See less

Ampyra Works Long-Term for MS Patients With Gait Disturbance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra Works Long-Term for MS Patients With Gait Disturbance

Long-term treatment with prolonged-release fampridine (Ampyra) offered persistent clinical and subjective benefits in walking function in gait-impaired patients with multiple sclerosis (MS), researchers reported.
    In an extension study of the FAMPKIN trial, MS patients had an 11.5% improvement in walking speed, a 10.7% improvement in endurance, and a 6.1-point improvement in self-perceived ambulatory function over baseline during the first open-label year of treatment, according to Linard Filli, PhD, of University Hospital Zurich, and colleagues.
    Those effects remained stable during a follow-up year of double-blind controlled treatment, with improvements in those respective endpoints of 13.1%, 12%, and 7.4 points compared with placebo, they reported online in Neurology.
    Overall, patients had significant improvement in the Timed 25-Foot Walk (T25FW) (P=0.0274), the 6-Minute Walk Test (6MWT) (P=0.0002), and the 12-item MS Walking Scale (MSWS-12) (P=0.0483) over those two years, they added.
    In an email, Filli noted that one of the most interesting findings of the study was the fact that a third of those who initially had poor improvement with the drug had a much different response after two additional years on the medication.

The rest of the article is here: http://www.medpagetoday.com/mastery-...ry-in-ms/63046

Thank you, Marco! This is just the information I logged in for. I'm surprised I'm the first responder.

(I always find your posts very informative and helpful!)

Comment

Thanks for posting this information Marco. I have been taking the compounded version of Ampyra (4-Aminopyridine) for some four years. I really think it has been very helpful for me. My walking has deteriorated but not too badly. The neurologist tells me we can just deal with the symptoms so I am probably SPMS. I walk with two walking poles and not long distances, however I think the 4-Aminopyridine has kept me upright and functioning with no side effects. Glad to see there is now research to support this.

Comment

I wonder if anyone found that Ampyra helps spasticity?

Comment

Working...
        X