Breakthrough Spasticity with Baclofen Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakthrough Spasticity with Baclofen Pump

I have had a Baclofen pump for almost 12 years and everything has been great. Starting about 6 months ago I started experiencing breakthrough spasticity. In the beginning it would last a few hours and then just go away. Now it is here for days and the level of spasticity has increased dramatically, it’s like it was before I had the pump. Both my neurologist and neurosurgeon are stumped. I had a CT scan to see if the catheter is where it should be (it is) and the pump is working fine. The reason the Drs are stumped is because it comes and goes. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I'm sorry your spasticity is no longer stable. That sounds unnerving.

I have not experienced what you are describing. I would suggest keeping a journal of your symptoms to try and determine a trigger. Changes in weather, stress, MS flare up, infections, etc., could all be culprits.

I hope you get it sorted out. Are you using oral baclofen when needed?

I wish you well.

Comment

Yes! I am experiencing the same thing and my doctors are stumped. I am experiencing spasticity right now and it’s a little upsetting. I’ve had my pump since 2010 and started with the spasticity about a year ago. I also have allergy symptoms along with the spasticity. Itchy eyes and runny nose. No one has an answer. I went through the tests to see if the catheter is functioning (it is) so here I am with the on and off spasms (which can be as bad as they were before the pump). I found your post when I was looking for answers, because my doctors don’t have one.

Comment

Hi disal!

Sorry to learn that you are experiencing increased spasticity. Very challenging to deal with, to say the least.

Originally posted by Marco View Post
        I would suggest keeping a journal of your symptoms to try and determine a trigger. Changes in weather, stress, MS flare up, infections, etc., could all be culprits.
        I don't have the pump, but I am surprised that the pump doesn't relieve the trigger type of spasticity.

That is the predominant type of spasticity that I get.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
        X