Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tizanidine

Hello
    I have got a new prescription for Tizanidine for my spasticity , which for me has been an issue. It seems to work way better than baclofen and was just wondering if any one else has had any experience with this drug ? Am I just having a little lull in my stiffness and pain or could it be working. I have to admit I never liked baclofen. Thanks I was just curious
    It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Originally posted by oceanpride View Post
    Hello
    I have got a new prescription for Tizanidine for my spasticity , which for me has been an issue. It seems to work way better than baclofen and was just wondering if any one else has had any experience with this drug ? Am I just having a little lull in my stiffness and pain or could it be working. I have to admit I never liked baclofen. Thanks I was just curious
    Hey oceanpride!

My guess is that your reduced spasticity is due to the Tizanidine.

I took it (also called Zanaflex) for some time and it definitely worked to relieve muscle stiffness.

Unfortunately, because I also have severe weakness, it took away my much needed muscle tone for standing and walking.

This reduced muscle tone also affected my balance.

I do get muscle spasms at times, but so far they are 'conditional', like when my leg touches the cold bathtub, or if my legs are in the same position for too long, or when my feet or legs are 'tickled' by the light touch of a bath towel, or the light touch of my shoes when putting them on. Tickles like that cause big time spasms for me!

My sister is my care helper, and she has learned to be very careful while helping me with my shower!

In any case oceanpride, I hope that the Tizanidine continues to help with your stiffness and pain.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks KoKo. Your knowledge and experience with this stuff is invaluable. I’m actually finding a little more strength in my legs due to the reduced pain and stiffness.
      I don’t think I will ever take baclofen again.
      But I think I’ve said that before also. For about the first few days I felt a little miserable going off of it. Maybe baclofen is a drug you have to slowly wean yourself off. I’m going to give Tizanidine a good long trial and hope that it works out good for me.

Comment

I'm actually finding a little more strength in my legs due to the reduced pain and stiffness.
        That's terrific, oceanpride!

I don't think I will ever take baclofen again. But I think I've said that before also.
        Baclofen doesn't work for everyone.

For about the first few days I felt a little miserable going off of it. Maybe baclofen is a drug you have to slowly wean yourself off.
        Yes, if you've used it for a long while and stopped abruptly, you could have some withdrawal symptoms.

I'm going to give Tizanidine a good long trial and hope that it works out good for me.
        Sounds like an excellent plan. Good luck, oceanpride!

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi oceanpride!

I also take this and it works really well for me when I'm having severe spasms and spasticity. It usually happens in the evening while resting before bed, so that's when I take it. I find it works as a sedative and helps me fall asleep faster.

Baclofen also helps me during the day. I didn't know that going off it cold turkey would give one withdrawal symptoms, so I learned something new!

I hope tizanidine continues to work wonders for you.
          Take care!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I prefer the Zanaflex to the baclofen.
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Thanks Seasha. I’ve learned a lot about everything here with all the help. When KoKo said the other name of it was zanaflex I searched that here and found out more info. Muscle stiffness and the pain from it has definitely improved after starting it.
              Certainly helps to be on this journey with others.

Comment

That encourages me too Boudreaux
                Thanks.

Comment

HI folks! I just started taking Tizanidine and LDN (low dose Naltraxone) for spasticity/pain. I was on Baclofen for over 10 years. Noticed it wasnt really working. I had a horrible reaction not knowing it was from Baclofen until i got off of it.
                  My worst spasticity is around my rib cage so tight & painful it affects my ability to expand myy breathing. Not sure yet about Tizanidine as it makes me pretty sleepy, but helps at night. I wear a velcro wrap that used for back support around my ribs and that helps too.
                  I believe in miracles~!
                  2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                  Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                    HI folks! I just started taking Tizanidine and LDN (low dose Naltraxone) for spasticity/pain. I was on Baclofen for over 10 years. Noticed it wasnt really working. I had a horrible reaction not knowing it was from Baclofen until i got off of it.
                    My worst spasticity is around my rib cage so tight & painful it affects my ability to expand myy breathing. Not sure yet about Tizanidine as it makes me pretty sleepy, but helps at night. I wear a velcro wrap that used for back support around my ribs and that helps too.
                    Hi mjan! It's so good to hear from you! It's been awhile now. Tizanidine works for me at night too. My severe spasticity usually happens right before I go to sleep. Not sure why.

Comment

I too started on Tizanidine before bed. I seem to have the most severe spasticity right as I try to relax in bed. Seems cruel to finally lay down to rest and my legs and glutes begin to severely tighten and cramp up. The Tizanidine makes me sleepy and gives me dry mouth. Dry mouth rinse seems to help but hope that eventually gets better.
                      Silverlinings

Comment

Hi oceanpride! It's been a couple of months since you first posted this. Just wondering how Tizanidine is working for you? Hopefully, it's just what you needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                          Hi oceanpride! It's been a couple of months since you first posted this. Just wondering how Tizanidine is working for you? Hopefully, it's just what you needed.
                          Hi Seasha
                          Yes it was what I needed. I still have days that are worse than others but in those cases I just take a little extra. It sure has gave me doubts about oral Backlofen. You have probably heard me complain about spasticity over the years. Finally something helps.
                          Thanks
                          This cold frigid weather here does not help.

Comment

Hey everyone!

Well, I have decided to revisit Tizanidine for my stiff leg muscles.

I told the doctor my concerns about my weakness, and fears that my legs would give out by relaxing some of the muscle tone.

So, due to this, and the fact that I'm a lightweight (90 pounds, maybe less), my prescription is for the 2mg tablets which are scored (to cut in half).

I will start off with 1mg (1/2 tablet), and see how my legs react. If my legs still have strength after doing the 1mg for a few days, then I'll try a 2mg (whole tablet).

Hoping it will help, like it is helping you guys and gals!

Will let you know.

Comment

Oh KoKo- I hope it works well for you. I find that 2mg works well, but works as a sedative for me and all I want to do is sleep. Hopefully, the 1 mg is just the right amt for you. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X