Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen pump surgery today

Hi all!

So my baclofen pump replacement surgery is today. This will be my third pump.

Hoping no setbacks, like last time. Had a major flare after that surgery, and spent months in inpatient rehab. First inpatient rehab at hospital, then transferred to a rehab facility. Last place I would want to be right now.

This isn't the greatest timing for my surgery with another Covid-19 surge in my area. We're a hotspot again, with a severe outbreak of cases. Remember being grateful wasn't having surgery in the spring. Yet, here we go again.

My plans were to have it done Sept/ Oct. No later than beginning of November. (But, definitely before the end of year because my copays and deductibles have been met.)

Well, those "plans" have definitely been put to the test! My preferred hospital, and the one my doctor was thru, are making changes to save money. Learned announcement was mid July. Part of it was because hospital is in the red from the spring, when all but "essential" healthcare services were shut down because of Covid-19. There's also a CEO who is retiring soon. He has tried to merge with other hospital systems a couple of times this year. The rumor mill at the hospital has it the CEO is trying to pad his pockets before he retires. He sold off the hospital's DME and home health care last year.

Now doctors are leaving that hospital. Many are being contracted out. Sad, whatever the reasons, because has been a top rated hospital in our area. My pump doctor also decided to leave, and went to another hospital system. So reason for delay of my surgery. Had to wait until he had everything set up to practice medicine with new hospital before could get scheduled for my surgery. Received a letter yesterday that practice is closing permanently Dec. 30, and referred remaining patients to a new practice, at one of their smaller hospital locations. Guess all of them are leaving. Another casualty of the virus never saw coming.

Initially, in early July, told by phone by scheduling that pump needed to be replaced in August, which would've been six months prior to end of service alarm date, which is early February. (Told same thing last time.) At my refill appt end of July, Dr said could wait up to end of January. Then said pump continued to work 90 days after alarm date before battery died. Would even be ok to wait until March to have it replaced.(I did know this already from the Medtronic site.)

He's a new doctor for me (long story).
    Basically because doctor who did my last surgery left a few years ago. Not sure if he changed his tune because he knew he was leaving, and would be some delay before he could do the surgery, or if felt this way all along. But, I do like him.

His explanations have been spot on. Other doctors have given me some that weren't. I've had a lot of increased spasticity this past year, and was concerned my catheter might have to be replaced. Had the dye test done, and original catheter still looks good. Yay!

I know now I don't want to wait. There's always a risk something could happen to delay my surgery further.

Finally got to a dosage that provides relief again for my spasticity in October. So grateful to have a baclofen pump!

Will update everyone when I can.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Hi Kimba

Sending a prayer and good thoughts your way for a successful surgery and recovery.

All the best to you, Kimba.
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

What a story, Kimba - Ugh!

Hoping all the best for your surgery that everything goes smoothly and your recovery is swift.
      Prayers your way
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hope all goes well Kimba
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Praying for a successful surgery without complications. I wish you well...

Comment

Hope your surgery went well. Praying it was uneventful.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Kimba, I sure hope everything worked out well for you! This COVID situation is definitely complicating everything related to health care, hospitals, staffing, PPE, etc. These past several months I've been seeing this first hand with my mom and sister-in-law both having to have major surgeries and I had the pleasure of spending the night in the ER with a bad asthma attack. I sure hope the vaccine works as well as intended and we can get back to whatever the new normal is going to be!

Comment

Yes; I hope the surgery was successful. Please update us.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. So sorry for the delay updating everyone. Have been dealing with an unrelated health issue.

I couldn't help but have some concerns about surgery with a history of three back to back bad relapses after surgeries, including the last time I had my pump replaced. I've also had others that were non eventful, including two in the past few years.

Surgery went well, but had an allergic reaction to one of the medications used. They gave me IV Benadryl w/ steroids to calm it down. Doctors said could only be one of two things, either the antibiotic wash or propofol, since only medications used. (But another possibility is the local, lidacaine.)

The aenesthesiologist thought it was the antibiotic, since I've never had problems with propofol before, but I know from my own experience you can develop an allergic reaction to a drug at any time. I'll be asking my doctors more about that.

They've cut back on the number of aenesthesia drugs used for my surgeries the past few years. This was after expressing my concerns they can contribute to weakness. The usual cocktail for deep sedation (https://www.verywellhealth.com/monit...lained-3157177) consists of a benzo to relax you, an opiod analgesic, and the anesthetic. The past two times stopped opioid. Went well. This time the aenesthesiologist stopped both opioid and benzodiazepine, and things still went well for me.

I was out within seconds of the aenesthesiologist administering the medication (has no warning, just out ... seems like always told to countdown backwards before), and woke up wide awake after it stopped. I even thought they were having the same conversation and thought "Why are they transferring me from the OR bed back to my other bed, when I just got here?" Lol

On another note, I finally have a Medtronic representative who left me his contact information this time around, too!

Originally posted by MS TOO
                  I had the pleasure of spending the night in the ER with a bad asthma attack. I sure hope the vaccine works as well as intended and we can get back to whatever the new normal is going to be!
                  MS TOO, sorry to hear about your asthma attack and ER visit. I'm glad you are OK! Sure hope the vaccine is our ticket back to "normal," as well!
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks for letting us know how your surgery went, Kimba.

Glad to know that it went well, (except for the allergic reaction, though).

Hope you have good results from your new pump.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                      I was out within seconds of the aenesthesiologist administering the medication (has no warning, just out ... seems like always told to countdown backwards before), and woke up wide awake after it stopped. I even thought they were having the same conversation and thought "Why are they transferring me from the OR bed back to my other bed, when I just got here?" Lol
                      LOL had to laugh! So glad it all went well and you have no problems with your new pump!
                      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                      X