Lower Throbbing Back Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Throbbing Back Pain

Do any MS Friends experience lower throbbing back pain that drives you crazy. It just never stops and I need some ideas or suggestions for management. Do others deal with this symptom?

I have lower back pain. Did 8 weeks of PT, no help there. Muscle Relaxers and pain relievers for 3 months, not much help there either.

Now I am trying Baclofen.

My back pain is caused by spasicity however.

You need to figure out the cause of the back pain. One of the things that did not occur to me, but my neuro mentioned it was that back pain can be a referred pain from a spinal lesion. Oh Joy, oh joy.

The baclofen helps a good bit, but only for 2 hours or so at a time and it doesn't go completely away but becomes an ache instead of a sharp throb.

Hopefully someone else will chime in too.

Talk to your docs and determine if it is an MS thing or not. I had a full back/hip work up (which was all normal and actually better than my age group for lack of arthritis considering I've been on birth control for 2 decades.)

Comment

Originally posted by Prissy View Post
      Do any MS Friends experience lower throbbing back pain that drives you crazy. It just never stops and I need some ideas or suggestions for management. Do others deal with this symptom?
      Lower back pain has always been my worst symptom. It does throb at times but more often for me it is a steady feeling of extreme pressure on my spine... The pain I feel is similar to a tooth ache and it is excruciating and non stop for 16 years so far....

The throbbing pain happens most often in bed or when I 'm in an uncomfortable position. Sometimes when laying down I can feel my pulse in my spine.

On occassion I get shooting pains which feel like someone is shooting me with a gun repeatedly.

So yes your pain could certainly be from MS but of course there are multiple other causes for back pain so there is always a chance it is from another cause.

Comment

Back pain

I have had bad pain in my back, like sciatica only it causes my MS every time to flare up, also I have a degenerative disc in my back and also a MS spot on my spine that contributes to my pain and spasticity. I just wish my MS was not affected by every other physical ailment, like flu and such.
        Cher

Comment

Lower back pain

I've been having constant lower back pain for the last three weeks-very centralized on the spine-like someone pushed the end of a baseball bat into my back. It's so bad, it's affecting my gait- so I'm thinking this is spasticity...? All I can say is "WOW". And suddenly, now that it's begun raining, my entire back hurts. I had no idea cold/wet could impact MS symptoms. Thought it was only heat.

Denise

Comment

I too have back pain related to neuropathy and spasticity (MS-related), but my MRIs also show physical problems. My MRIs show, I have a number of structural problems, and whacked out discs, simply related to a bumpy, crazy life.

Back pain is one of the most frequent reasons for visiting a primary care doctor. So you can choose to start with your neurologist and maybe try a muscle relaxant, anti-spasticity or medication for nerve pain. If that alone does not fix the problem then you might still need to see your GP for physical problems with your back. You can reverse the steps if you want, but please get your back treated. Back pain is certainly no fun, and can even be debilitating. I wish you well and hope your back pain can be controlled and quickly!

Comment

Working...
            X