foot cramps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foot cramps

I get the worst charlie horse cramps in my feet it's awful . Has anyone found something to help ? Thanks for the reponses .
    A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails .
    (unknown)

I have painful cramps in my feet as well. I try to stretch them every day. I'd be interested what others do, too.

Comment

Sounds painful for sure. I hope that you find something that works.

Comment

Excess sugar was my trigger. Magnesium before bed- 500 mg seems to prevent them - but is not enough to do the trick if I eat a lot of sugar.

Comment

I could never narrow it down to any certain trigger. What I did for mine, and continue to do, is to take gabapentin four times a day. Before the gabapentin, when I used to get those cramps I would massage them out and I would also wrap the affected areas in a heating pad. These are a few of the things that work for me.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Foot cramps can be caused by Multiple Sclerosis spasticity, but many other unrelated conditions are common cramp causes. If the cramps are chronic or routinely lasting longer than 30 minutes I would seriously consider being examined by a physician or podiatrist. During my military life I often dealt with cramping soldiers that were either dehydrated or overheated. Years later, I hope some of the below information is of help to you and your situation.

Common Causes of Cramps
            • Nutrition and Dehydration – Nutritional deficiencies of Vitamin B, Vitamin D, potassium, calcium or magnesium can cause muscle cramps. Bananas, avocados, broccoli, oranges and raisins are wonderful at stopping cramps due to nutritional deficiencies. Dehydration is a common cause of muscle cramps. Ensure you are drinking adequate amounts of water. Reducing caffeine, sugar, tobacco and/or alcohol can help reduce muscle cramps.
            • Circulation Issues – Inadequate blood flow to the foot can cause cramping due to a lack of oxygen and nutrients reaching the muscles. Compression socks can help remedy this issue, exercise and stretching can also increase circulation.
            • Physical Trauma – Strained or overexerting muscles of the foot can cause cramping. Prolonged sitting without breaks, poorly fitted footwear or poor walking gait can all lead to cramping.
            • Medical Conditions or Medications – Being pregnant or another condition impacting your hormone levels. Nerve impingement between the back and foot can lead to cramps, numbness or paresthesia. Use of certain medications (i.e. diuretics, asthma, cholesterol, osteoporosis, blood pressure, etc) can cause cramps. People with diabetes, neurological and other medical conditions are more susceptible to cramps.

Treatments
            • Alternatives to medicines – stretching, exercising, massage (with or without ice), acupuncture, stress management, applying moist heat, warm foot soak, RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) can all help prevent or treat cramps.
            • Medications – NSAIDS or other pain relievers, muscle relaxants (flexeril) or anti-spasmodic (baclofen/tizanidine), quinine and even botox.

Cramps can be horrendous especially when they wake you up night after night. I certainly hope you find quick relief and keep us updated.

Comment

Hello Tambrown

Those leg/foot cramps are killers! You should 'google' soap under the sheets for leg cramps. I read about it in Dr Gott's column in the newspaper 25 years ago and tried it...Hey it doesn't cost anything but the price of a bar of soap

I did see a major improvement in the number of cramps and the duration. Give it a try it can't hurt

Take care
              Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

I get foot cramps that twist my feet around and feel like it will break the bones if it twists more. It is one of my worst symptoms..it won't let me, ignore it.

I get up and put pressure and weight on them to prevent that and a large dose of pain pills and a muscle relaxer (flexoril).

For some odd reason, I haven't been having them so frequently, lately. IDK why. fed

Comment

I get muscle cramps in my feet and also my legs. I've found that massaging with a mixture of peppermint essential oil mixed with body oil as a carrier seems to help. Last night was one of those times and the oil helped quickly.

Comment

Thank you for so many things to try . I have tried a few things but streching makes a cramp start up . I do have type 2 diabetes . I'll ask neuro next visit . Many thanks , Rammy
                    A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails .
                    (unknown)

Comment

Working...
                    X