Struggling with severe fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling with severe fatigue

I am currently struggling with severe fatigue but it seems to come and go in waves. Let me explain: I will start having fatigue, extreme fatigue like unable to get out of bed or stay awake fatigue. I will literally sleep for 2 days, almost straight through. Then I will feel better for the next 2 days, still slight fatigued but not like it was. Unfortunately it doesn't last though and the severe fatigue will come back again after those 2 days and I'm back to being unable to get out of bed.

It is just a terrible cycle, every couple of days! Do any of you experience this and what do you do, if anything to help. I want to be able to do other things but I can not get past the need to sleep. My doc is checking my iron, B12, Vitamin D and the normal other labs for my Rebif, hopefully I will hear from him soon. I'm just not sure what I can do to help this fatigue? Any suggestions or experiences would be very helpful. Thanks!
    RRMS diagnosed 10/2011
    Rebif since 2012, Vitamin D 4000IU

Hello ruthr923,

I am sorry your fatigue is so overwhelming.

There are different medications that can be tried in the treatment of fatigue.

- Amantadine
    - Provigil
    - Nuvigil
    - A.D.D. medications (Ritalin, Adderall, ect)

You might also consider having a sleep study done to make sure there is not some sort of sleep disorder that is contributing to your fatigue.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Same Sleepiness Cycle

I, too, have a new symptom like this. Is there anything to do that doesn't require a new med?

Comment

Originally posted by Centsable View Post
        I, too, have a new symptom like this. Is there anything to do that doesn't require a new med?
        Hello Centsable,

The link below is a discussion about a supplement that some have found helpful for fatigue.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100794

The other non-medication options:

Exercise -- exercise has been shown to help with some MS symptoms such as fatigue, spasticity and pain.

Naps and/or rest when needed.

That's it.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you so much for the suggestions Snoopy! I so appreciate it!
          RRMS diagnosed 10/2011
          Rebif since 2012, Vitamin D 4000IU

Comment

OMG, I was just getting ready to post about this. Mine is pretty dang bad. I fall asleep in my college classes. I sit next to people who know and they wake me up only to fall asleep again. I fall asleep sitting up all the time at home. My daughter tells me once I wake up that she had to take a pen, fork, whatever I'm holding at the time and push me back so I don't hurt myself. It's a struggle to stay awake while driving if I go farther than 20 miles. My general doc won't prescribe nothing and just cut my pain pills in half, I was taking very little to begin with. FYI I've been on them for years and they never made me sleepy. This has started before the med change as well. It started slowly but has gotten super bad. I see my neuro in two days. I'll post what he suggests. I don't know how much he'll do since this is my first visit and I've been trying for two years to get insurance to approve the referral. Yes, that was ridiculous. Long story but I really got screwed, story of my life the past four years. I hope there is a solution cuz I'll have no income since disability keeps turning me down. Sorry for hijacking the post. I hope I have useful info to come back with

Comment

fatigue

I had terrible fatigue. I take a vitamin calcium and vitamin d it seems to help. I also bought a nutra bullet and started making the shake recipes now I can stay up most of the day. Hope that helps

Comment

Cycling

My fatigue is exactly the same. Seems like every few days. I am tired but can function to do small things for a few days then I get "slammed" for the next few days. I am not sure but I think I am doing too much on the so called " good days".

I have been taking 5000mg of vitamin D a day plus a multi vitamin along with 1000mg of vitamin C and airborne daily. Next week I am going to try a gluten free diet. I have read this helps numerous people. Will let you know if it works for me.

At this point I will try anything I think!

Comment

I thought I might be alone with this weird type of fatigue .

It's difficult because I work nights . I've tried everything I

know of , then I read about narcolepsy and my sx fit but I

don't know what they do for it . I guess I'll talk to neuro about it .
                  A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails .
                  (unknown)

Comment

Working...
                  X