Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cognition Issues in MS Are Vital to Address

Long article about cognitive issues.

Cognitive problems are observed in as many as 70% of persons with MS. This means that on average, 2 of every 3 patients in MS clinics are experiencing some degree of cognitive dysfunction.2 Although highly individualized in presentation, the most common problems are in cognitive processing speed and learning and memory, although impairments also can be observed in executive functions, visuospatial processing, and social cognition. Cognitive problems can be observed early in the course of the disease but typically are more prevalent later. Roughly one-third of patients with clinically isolated syndrome (CIS) experience cognitive decline. Approximately 50% of patients with relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS) and 80% to 90% of patients with progressive MS show evidence of cognitive impairment.

Complete story: https://www.neurologylive.com/view/c...tal-to-address

If I’m reading this right it’s saying that 90% chance I have cognitive issues.
    I think I’m as sharp or sharper than I ever was
    But I’m obviously thinking differently also due to symptoms fatigue balance weakness coordination etc.
    Hope I stay keen.
    I have this wonderful ability to see through the odd bit of expert advice.
    hope I retain that much at least
    Bur I do wonder how some got so smart !!
    Plus I got all life’s heard lessons along the way to guide me that younger patients haven’t learned yet. Can’t sweep this stuff under the rug like I feel like.
    It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Thanks Marco for sharing.

I was fortunate to have a Neuro who ordered baseline testing with neuropsych testing, but he waited until after I adjusted to the diagnosis and emotions weren't in play. The only bad thing is I had initial symptoms 13 years earlier and I told people for years that my focus and memory were affected by that first relapse. So he couldn't see the change form 13 years prior.

I have had tests 3 times since. Again, fortunate that my second Neuro referred me to participate in a cognitive rehab program that did improve my memory. But I still had issues in other areas.

Really important that if you feel you have cognitive issues or just want a baseline assessment, push your Neuro for testing.

​​​​​​
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I worked in Information Systems until the wheels of the bus came off. I had a massive flare up and lost so much capacity. I couldn't even type the same password in two fields (password and password) to confirm it. My typing plummeted from 90+ words per minute to under 10. I've worked hard and had hundreds of therapy sessions to try to regain physical and cognitive function. I can now type about 30 wpm.

It's been over 10 years since I left the workforce and still miss it dearly. About 1/2 of the dreams I recall are work related. I certainly wish that I was on a more effective DMT from the onset of the disease.

I wish you all well...

Comment

Likewise Marco. After that first relapse, I always put extra time in just to keep up. I was a Business Systems Analyst/Project Manager. I started Tysabri a little before leaving the workforce. But the damage was already done from years of no diagnosis to starting on the early drugs that didn't stop my relapses.

I never had a major relapse. Just the first one was six weeks of vertigo and left me with reduced focus, memory, and other cognitive issues. My Neuro basically said that the brain figured a way around the damage, but eventually, the fatigue caused by the extra effort to circumvent the damage overwhelmed me. Vicious cycle of cognitive and physical fatigue the last 2 years prior to leaving the workforce. So 21 years after that first bout with vertigo and 8 after diagnosis, I called it quits.

I can say both improved once I stopped working 8 years ago, but I do miss it as well. I miss the people, but also miss the type of work I did. It was a form of puzzle to me - figuring tech solutions to business problems.

Wish you well too!
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
          X