Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s the Link Between MS and Brain Fog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain fog, sometimes called cog fog, is a term that describes some of the cognitive symptoms of MS and other medical conditions that affect brain function.

Symptoms of brain fog may include difficulties related to thinking and brain function, such as:

- Confusion and decision making

- Memory, attention, and concentration

- Understanding, processing, and thought delays

- Planning and disorganization

Cognitive symptoms affect roughly 45% to 60% of people with MS.

What Causes Brain Fog in Multiple Sclerosis?

Brain fog can be a symptom of MS for several reasons.

Lesions

MS can cause lesions (spots or scars that show damaged cells) in the brain that can affect cognitive abilities and cause brain fog. These spots can be seen on magnetic resonance imaging, or MRI images, and are used to help diagnose MS.

Areas of the Brain Affected

The brain consists of white matter and gray matter, and both play a vital role in overall body function: Gray matter is the outermost layer of the brain and helps with the processing required for daily functioning. White matter is farther from the surface and serves as a link between gray matter and the rest of the body; it sends messages and communicates with the rest of your body.

Myelin is a coating that protects the nerves in the brain and spinal cord, and speeds up the messaging from your brain to other body parts, and gives the white matter its white hue. MS occurs when the immune system attacks myelin, causing it to deteriorate. The damage to the brain caused by MS tends to primarily affect the white matter since it has more myelin, but the gray matter can also be affected.

Damage to different brain areas can lead to cognitive symptoms such as confusion and memory challenges that people call brain fog.

How to Deal With It

The cognitive symptoms of MS can be challenging and severe enough to impact daily life and functioning. However, there are things people with MS brain fog can do to minimize symptoms and prevent it from negatively impacting life.

Tips for living with MS brain fog include:

- Talk about it. Discuss your cognitive symptoms and brain fog with your healthcare provider so they can help. These challenges are effects of MS, just like the physical symptoms.

- Learn about it. There are resources available specifically for MS-related cognitive challenges, including research and educational material. Knowing more about MS can lead to finding solutions that can help.
    - Support mental and emotional health. Mental and emotional challenges such as stress, depression, and anxiety can worsen cognitive symptoms. Finding support and treatment for mental and emotional difficulties can help you cope.

- Lean on family and friends. It can help to have friends and family members come with you to appointments and help manage daily tasks, such as reminding you to take medications.

- Use tools and processes. Alarms, apps, and planners can help you stay on track with organization and reminders to ensure you follow your treatment plan.

Lifestyle Changes

In addition to general coping strategies for MS brain fog, some lifestyle changes can help.

- Diet. No specific diet plan is recommended for MS, but research has shown that focusing on vegetables and fruits and not overeating can help. Additionally, omega-3 fatty acids, found in foods like flax seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, and avocados, have been shown to help.

- Exercise. Regular exercise, three times per week, has been shown to improve cognitive function in people with MS.

Intellectual enrichment.

- Brain exercises, such as puzzles, crafts, or activities, can challenge the brain and keep it nimble. While this may not reverse cognitive decline, it has been shown to prevent or slow future decline in people with MS.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/multi...in-fog-5248652

Thank you so much for this information.
    God Bless Us All

Comment

This was really interesting. I get exercise and I do a word puzzle called Bookworm and I do believe the cog fog isn't escalating.

Comment

Not sure if this is Brain Fog but when i go into certain stores all of a sudden i get very overwhelmed. I can walk in knowing what i need and completely fine. Then i get in the store and it's like everything becomes foggy and i get in this "i need to get out of here" mode. Almost like i am disoriented. Happens more in the grocery store but i have noticed at other stores as well. Anyone else experience anything like this? I'm on anti anxiety medications so i don't think its my anxiety.
        Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
        Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Jennaly16 View Post
          Not sure if this is Brain Fog but when i go into certain stores all of a sudden i get very overwhelmed. I can walk in knowing what i need and completely fine. Then i get in the store and it's like everything becomes foggy and i get in this "i need to get out of here" mode. Almost like i am disoriented. Happens more in the grocery store but i have noticed at other stores as well. Anyone else experience anything like this? I'm on anti anxiety medications so i don't think its my anxiety.
          Yes, especially when fatigued. If I don't have my list, even for just a few items, guaranteed I will get it wrong. For me, I think it can be sensory overload - lights, noises, people moving. Lists truly help - I live by them. I tried using my phone, but I need to cross it off to make sure I have everything. And trying to delete items on the phone list would just add to the commotion for me. So yellow paper lists for me!

I am sure we are not alone either.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
          X