Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this be considered "cog-fog"?

Hi all,
    I am a long time lurker, and have only posted a few times.
    Okay, so I don't know if this is considered a cognitive problem, or I'm just bad at knitting.

I've been knitting for about 9 years, and have never been that great, but can do simple stitches.
    I am making a hat for my son, and need to do a simple knit two, purl two, repeating.
    I will knit two, and then forget if I had just knit or purled. It was 3 seconds ago...what the heck?
    I've had to restart 3 times since Friday evening. I've turned off the tv, told nobody to distract me, and I still get stuck. It's literally counting to 2, and repeating.
    I have been able to do it in the past while casually watching a movie.

Another thing that happened that made me (and probably the kids) mad, was the last time
    I made orange juice. We get the frozen from concentrate stuff, add 3 cans of water, mix...
    I forgot which can of water I was on. Needless to say, I made the weakest pitcher of orange
    juice Everybody drank it so I didn't feel bad, but still....

Is this spaceyness or cog-fog? No change in medications recently, and I'm getting decent sleep.
    The family knows not to distract me when I'm doing stuff like knitting or cooking, but it's happening more and more often.

And really, what's to be done about it? I guess I'm just curious what it is. I feel better if I can
    label it for some reason

Thanks!! Any response would be greatly appreciated
    Dx 11/09
    Aubagio since 09/15

Hi Ivy Sprite~

I am a long time knitter too and just recently started a baby blanket for my next grandchild to be. I understand the cognitive deficits you're talking about... Initially I had forgotten how to cast on stitches, (had t watch a video), then proceeded to knit and purl 10 rows and had to unravel all my work due to big mistakes

You know how a completed purl vs knit looks like, so before you begin a new stitch, look closely on what you have just done and proceed accordingly. I'm working on k1,p1 for a seeded stitch right now, so I'm constantly having to look closely on which one I just did!

But, my best suggestion would be for you to get a neuropsychological evaluation (if you haven't already) to see exactly where your cognitive strengths and weaknesses are. Many get help from the neuropsychologist to learn ways to strengthen and/or work around those weaknesses. It's always helpful to get a baseline for further testing if needed.

From the UNC dept of neurology, read up on FAQ to learn more about this testing- https://www.med.unc.edu/neurology/di...ers/npsycheval

Good luck on that hat for your son and keep plugging away~~
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you~!

Hi Seasha-thanks for the info!
      And thanks for understanding about the knitting! I've done seed stitch before,
      but again with the "which did I just do?", I get kind of lost. And I know what it should
      look like, but I second guess myself and have to look it up each time. I have a great reference book
      that I go back to a LOT. And yay for youtube I've had to refresh myself in the middle of
      a project. I forgot how to slip a stitch Then I felt silly after I watched the video.
      (This was after I had done ROWS of slipping the last stitch.)

I have not done a neuropsychological evaluation. I assumed I was making too
      much out of being forgetful. It's just that I'm noticing it happen more often now.
      I will bring it up at my next appointment with my neuro this April. It's definitely worth
      checking out.
      Thanks again~!
      Dx 11/09
      Aubagio since 09/15

Comment

Working...
      X