Talking really fast & zero patience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking really fast & zero patience

Not sure if these are symptoms of agitation, or something else. Basically, my supervisor has mentioned to me that I need to slow down my speech (I have not told her about the MS). I'm not sure if I have fleeting ideas, or what...

I do know that I get irritated with myself if I don't comprehend things right away, and if people make me wait for xyz reason.
    Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
    UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Hi Nanobaby,

Do you to take a stimulant?
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

The only stimulant I take is caffeine (from my morning coffee & afternoon tea).

Comment

Hi Nanobaby,

I probably should have phrased my question differently. I was wondering if you use a prescription medication for fatigue. If you do, that would be my first guess as to your impatience and talking too fast.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Not currently on anything for fatigue.

Comment

I don't know Nanobaby, but it would sure be worth discussing it with your Neurologist or even your PCP.

I'm not aware of MS causing lack of patience and talking fast. It could be due to stress/worry or anxiety, but I just don't know.

Take care
            Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Nanababy --

I wonder if there's a little bit of manic stuff going on. When I'm in an MS flare, I get manic. It's not a common symptom of MS, but it can happen.

That might not be what's going on. You might want to take a look at a list of symptoms and see if it looks anything like what you're experiencing.

• High energy, excessive activity, and/or restlessness
              • Overly good mood
              • Irritability
              • Fast, erratic talking
              • Racing thoughts
              • Inability to concentrate
              • Little need for sleep
              • Feelings of power
              • Poor judgment
              • Reckless spending
              • High sex drive
              • Alcohol or drug abuse
              • Aggression
              • Refusal to admit that there is a problem
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks, Mamabug!

I have some of the symptoms but not all. I do have a neuro appointment in 3 weeks & will bring this up with him.

Comment

spech therapist input

my dh has had ms for 8 years and i'm a speech therapist.
                  his speech has definitely declined. he speaks very rapidly
                  and stumbles all over his words. it resembles a condition similar
                  to stuttering called 'cluttering'. there are specific techniques
                  that are 'compensatory' in nature that you can learn. you may want
                  to seek out some speech therapy close to you.

for now, try to talk....... in phrases..... by pausing momentarily.....
                  every few words.... at natural junctures in your speeech....

that can get you back on track until you feel yourself stumbling again.
                  its not a matter of 'slowing down', you need to use more pauses too
                  to gain better control. it takes a lot of practice and 'self-monitoring' tho.
                  once you start to think about your speech more it'll come easier.

i can't stand talking on the phone with DH because i cannot understand him.
                  i just can't. so pay close attention to this when talking on the phone.

i'd look into some therapy for help with your own personal speech issues tho.
                  best of luck! you can do this.

Comment

Working...
                  X